What will be your role?
You will have the unique opportunity to make an impact in high-tech systems productivity through fundamental improvements in system performance engineering. You will contribute to development of model-driven methodologies to make system performance better diagnosable during operation and more predictable by design. Over time, many high-tech systems companies have evolved their equipment into more sophisticated and increasingly complex systems. So, what you and your colleagues have to do is learn to understand how this impacts the system performance, and how to translate these insights into models and techniques which are able to deal with the ever-more demanding system evolution. To achieve this, we need you to contribute a holistic attitude overarching the focus areas of performance architecting, design-space exploration, performance modelling and analysis, scheduling and supervisory control, and data-driven analysis and design.
As a scientist operating from industry labs at high-tech giants, you bridge the gap between academia and industrial practice. Your share insights that you gain during your research with industrial and academic partners. As you often work in a small team, you have an important say in the course of the project. We look forward to hearing your ideas.
The research projects you can contribute to from ESI (TNO) are numerous. For example, your colleagues helped ASML to ensure throughput
in their complex multidisciplinary lithographic systems, and to specify and optimize the overall system behavior and supervisory control
of the system’s material flow at both ASML and Nexperia. In cooperation with several of our industrial partners, we plan to work on extending and improving these methods. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. So, plenty of options!Read more about ESI (TNO)
or watch the video on the ESI performance engineering expertise
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
You are a goal-oriented and self-driven professional energized by delivering high quality results. You love to come up with the appropriate vision including solutions for each system performance challenge. Like us you believe that working at a higher level of abstraction and using model-driven approaches bring benefits to the whole product creation process serving complex systems designs. Not only by creating abstractions representing desired system functionality but also by demonstrating their value and helping others to adopt the art to create them.
You have a curious and investigative attitude. Keen on asking questions and incorporating feedback. You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team in an industrial environment, in which you will become a knowledgeable sparring partner for your fellow scientists, industrial, and academic partners.
What else can you offer?
- A university degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or relevant field.
- 5+ years of experience in modelling and formalization principles based on a sound mathematical foundation, preferably in applied research.
- An affinity with (mathematical) formalisation of system performance engineering and optimization, knowing how systems are engineered and evolve over time when the interaction and timing aspects of physical processes, mechanical design and construction, and embedded software and control play a dominant role.
- Hands-on experience with various performance modelling and analysis techniques and best practices, such as discrete-event simulation, model and property checking, domain specific languages, design-space exploration, the Y-chart paradigm, data-driven model calibration and validation, and model learning. Having a model-driven mindset is a pre.
- A proven track record on applying the latest state-of-the-art methods and tools, willing to further improve those techniques on the job.
- A technical mindset with great attention to detail.
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3,713,- and € 5.774,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- Possibility of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
ESI is an open and diverse innovation research centre hosted by TNO with strong partnerships with industry-leading high-tech companies. ESI addresses the ever-increasing complexity the high-tech industry is facing in the systems they create through the development of new methods and techniques for system design and engineering. Its extensive research programme aims to advance high-tech industry in improving lead-time and effectiveness of their product innovation process, as well as the functionality, quality and societal impact of their products. The ESI project teams are motivated to accomplish a difference for their eco-system within an informal working ambience. In addition, ESI provides specific programmes for innovation support and competence development of system architects and senior engineers.
The selection process
Please apply before October 10, 2021. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Yvonne Pribnow
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-11097594
Hiring manager: Wouter Leibbrandt
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 65560