What will you be doing?
We are looking for you, a senior modeller, who translates concepts into mathematical models to make judgements on the circularity of ecosystems and as such will make a crucial contribution to the transition towards a circular economy. Socially relevant issues that TNO investigates in projects and consortia. And for which you, as a senior modeller, can act as the right catalyst. Can you picture it?
Your primary focus is on developing new methods and tools that will lead to knowledge, information and insights that take companies, governments and communities forward to a more sustainable circular economy. Or even help them accelerate this transition. Together with internal and external parties you know how to build and extend such a model suite. This also means that you work with others to write high-quality and impactful project proposals. You do this together with the PMC Cluster/Roadmap driver of Impact Assessment. Meet other TNO employees
What do we require of you?
Communicating internally and externally. With members of the project team, business consultants and standard bearers in the field at TNO. And with the public, with various media that might sometimes make matters difficult for you. This stimulates you, and you know exactly how to deal with such situations. Managing stakeholders’ expectations? You are good at that, also in face of resistance. Because you have your feet firmly on the ground. What else can you offer?
- You have a background in econometrics, mathematics, chemistry or physics and you have a PhD in modelling impact assessment (social, economic, environmental), material flow, or other modelling methods relating to the transition to a more sustainable circular economy.
- You have sufficient methodological knowledge (hybrid modelling, scenario construction, model dynamisation and/or the translation from national to regional model forms) to develop new methods and tools to monitor, evaluate or predict the transition to a more sustainable and circular economy.
- Your extensive experience enables you to come up with relevant new questions to be answered in the transition to a sustainable, more circular economy and to translate that into a model.
- You are part of and contribute to the formation of the knowledge team and the knowledge strategy.
- You have an extensive network and you know how to use it in forming consortia for project proposals and you can expand your network to the parties that are relevant to our work.
- Mentoring of mediors and juniors in projects comes naturally to you in your role. You actively contribute to their professional development, enabling them to grow to a higher level.
- You have an excellent command of Dutch and English, both written and spoken.
What can you expect of your work situation?
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932 we have been developing knowledge and technologies in the general interest. We find common ground in wonderment and resourcefulness, and are driven to push boundaries. There is ample room and support for your talent and ambition. You will be working with people who are a match for you, who inspire you, and who want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to turn your vision into reality. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes a difference. Because with each innovation, you contribute to the life of the future.Read more about TNO as an employer
At TNO you will be working in the Climate, Air & Sustainability department. This is a multi-faceted department of some 50 passionate researchers, consultants and mathematicians in the field of Life Cycle Assessments (LCA) and other impact methods, with domain knowledge about the recycling and chemical industry and extensive knowledge about analysing and predicting the impact of human activity on climate and air quality. This team also helps government policymakers and corporate decision-makers along in the transformation to a cleaner, more sustainable economy. The team you end up with is based in Utrecht, but frequently works with other teams (e.g. from The Hague, Eindhoven region).
Read more about the Climate, Air, Sustainability
Research group of the Circular Economy and the Environment
unit at TNO.
What can TNO offer you?
The work is challenging and varied. And full of opportunities because at TNO you are, by and large, the master of your own career. In addition to a gross monthly salary of between € 5.300 and € 6.500 (depending on your knowledge and experience), holiday pay and a thirteenth month’s salary, you will get every opportunity to develop your skills. At TNO, you can also put together a ‘menu’ of terms of employment to suit your personal situation. What you can expect:
Read here which terms of employment you can choose from
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues.
- 28 days of holiday and 5 ATV days (additional days of paid leave on the basis of full-time employment).
- Travel allowance or a bicycle.
- A good pension scheme.
- Fun (virtual) activities with your team, site, and the whole of TNO. This will help you to quickly get to know many of your colleagues.
- Flexible working hours and excellent teleworking facilities.
- The opportunity to do (online) courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences.
- A modern office in Utrecht.
- Access to the TNO project leaders’ guild, a network of about three hundred like-minded people. The guild annually organises various workshops, symposia, peer learning sessions and other activities for project leaders.
You can apply till March, 18. The first round of interviews is scheduled on March, 29. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Gerard Laan, van der
Phone number: 088 866 2038