What will you be doing?
As senior Project Manager you are responsible for large, complex and high risk projects, focusing on applied polymeric materials research in the fields of Additive Manufacturing and Lightweight Automotive, two of the shared research programs of Brightlands Materials Center. In most cases these projects are funded by the European Union (Horizon 2020, EFRO or Interreg) or the Dutch Government (NWO, STW) and consist of consortia of industrial and academic partners. Next to externally funded projects other applied research projects will occur.
You will be responsible for the initiation, definition, execution and filing of such projects in close collaboration with other project partners. You will make sure that the goals and the activities of the projects fit well with the program plans of the BMC programs by close interaction with the respective Program Managers of BMC.
The projects will normally consist of sub-projects, called work packages. The Project Manager leads the work package leaders who are responsible for the contents of their work packages, and is in charge of internal and external stakeholder management.
You will be responsible for managing the budget, timing and quality of the deliverables of multiple (related) applied research projects within the BMC programs Additive Manufacturing and Lightweight Automotive. You will guide the project teams, helping to define customer contracts with budget calculations, and maintain good customer relations with the clients during and after the projects. As a Senior Project Manager you work with a team of professionals for various international customers and partners.
You will play a key role in strengthening and further building up our position as a unique knowledge partner in polymeric material research. You play an important role in organizing the strategy of Brightlands Materials Center, which will result amongst others in processes that enable the team to execute projects with the highest efficiency and quality possible. An important aspect herein is the allocation of the right resources and continuously building up project / customer related knowledge.
Typical work activities are:
• Initiating, defining and filing of research projects, in close collaboration with external partners and with the BMC program managers;
• Executing projects within the set of boundary conditions, while achieving the project targets (initiate, plan, start and run projects with realistic time schedules, budgets, deliverables and milestones);
• Support sales & business development activities with the acquisition of new projects and development of new consortia;
• Coordinate project proposals, showing empathy with the legal side of contracts;
• Contributing to the TNO/BMC programs Lightweight Automotive and Additive Manufacturing.
You’ll be responsible for:
• New project definition and acquisition;
• Excellent execution of research projects;
• Communication with customers / partners on progress and project results;
• Maintaining a network of customers and partners.
What do we require of you?
• University (MSc) degree in e.g. Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or alike;
• 5 to 10 years of experience as project leader/manager in the industry (applied R&D / innovation or related), related to the field of (polymeric) materials or polymer based composites;
• Proven experience in project management, e.g. IPMA C or comparable;
• Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work effectively as a member of international teams, able to lead, motivate and coach team members;
• Able to write project proposals and collaborate with legal staff;
• Well organized, able to structure projects within given constraints, result driven;
• Convincing communication skills, good understanding of customer needs;
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal, is a must. German is an advantage;
• Can convert vision into action, highly motivated, self-initiating individual;
• Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organization whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organizations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3500 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organizations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till the 11th of June.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anouk Bos
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-46966194
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiringmanager: Jan Pieter Maurice
Phone number: 08886 65764