What will you be doing?
You will be focusing on environmental projects that are climate-related. Imagine for instance that the people living next to an industrial zone see dust descending on their garden furniture. Where does it come from? What does it consist of? Is it harmful? And if so, what can be done about it? Potentially, it would be necessary to take measurements (on location), apply various analysis techniques, run models for example to to determine the origin/spreading/exposure... and interpret the results. A wide variety of stakeholders are involved: inhabitants, companies, the community, the province, sometimes even the European Union. Big and complex social issues to which TNO seeks answers in the scope of projects and consortia. You will lead these complex projects, communicate about them with stakeholders, and manage the various interests and expectations.
You know what the topic is about, but your core business is project management. You will be managing your team and the ambitions of the team members; passionate scientists for whom the sky is the limit, but does this fit in with the feasibility of the project? Sometimes it may also be the other way round, where you will need to choose a direction that the stakeholders are not keen on, but that is necessary in order to solve the problem. You will lead projects to a successful conclusion, ensure that we make an impact, and leave ample room for follow-up: pursuing the line of research and continuing with assignment flows. What is the ultimate target? You will decide. How do we get there? That you will determine together with your team!Read more about Environmental Modelling, Sensing & Analysis at TNO
What do we require of you?
Communicating internally and to the outside. With members of the project team, business consultants and figureheads in the field at TNO. And with the public, with various media that might sometimes make matters difficult for you. This stimulates you, and you know exactly how to deal with such situations. Managing stakeholders’ expectations? You enjoy that, also when there’s a healthy dose of resistance. Because you have your feet firmly on the ground. What else can you offer?
- You have a university degree;
- You have at least 10 years’ experience in leading and project management. Do you have less experience than this but still believe that you are the person we want? Then we’d like to hear from you;
- You will preferably have a network that is relevant at a national or international level (environment, fine-particle emissions, microplastics) and experience in leading European projects;
- You have a great affinity with matters that are related to the environment, climate and circular economy.
What can you expect of your work situation?
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we’ve been developing knowledge and technologies in the general interest. We find common ground in fascination and resourcefulness, and are driven to push boundaries. There is ample room for your talent and ambition. You will be working with people who are a match for you, who inspire you, and who want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to turn your vision into reality. What you do at TNO, will contribute to it: impact makes a difference. Because with each innovation, you are contributing to the life of the future.Read more about TNO as an employer
At TNO, you will be working in the Environmental Modelling, Sensing & Analysis department. It is a versatile department with 48 passionate researchers and technicians with extensive knowledge of measurement methods and strategies in the field of chemical analyses, water and air sensors that pick up gases and particles, microscopic analyses of solids and production material, and the safety of circular processes. We focus both on the environment sector and on circular economy, and operate on two locations: Utrecht and Petten. You will based in Utrecht.Meet other TNO employees
What can TNO offer you?
The work is challenging and varied. And with lots of opportunities because at TNO you are, by and large, the master of your own career. In addition to a gross monthly salary of between €,4,800 and €6,700 (depending on your knowledge and experience), holiday pay and a thirteenth month’s salary, you will get every opportunity to develop your skills. At TNO, you can also put together a ‘menu’ of terms of employment to suit your personal situation. What you can expect:
Read here which terms of employment you can choose from
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues.
- 28 days of holiday and 5 ATV days (additional days of paid leave on the basis of full-time employment).
- Travel allowance or a bicycle.
- A good pension scheme.
- Fun (virtual) activities with your team, site, and the whole of TNO. This will help you to quickly get to know many of your colleagues.
- Flexible working hours and excellent teleworking facilities.
- The opportunity to do (online) courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences.
- A modern office in Utrecht.
- Access to the TNO project leaders’ guild, a network of about three hundred like-minded people. The guild annually organises various workshops, symposia, peer learning sessions and other activities for project leaders.
You can apply till the 6th of December 2020. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 17th of December 2020. The second round of interviews is scheduled for the 24th of December 2020. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an presentation. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Jorien Strijk
Phone number: +31(0)88-86 64802