What will be your role?
Your colleagues will have an in-depth knowledge of (technical) cyber security and quantitative models and algorithms, as well as wide experience in developing and applying innovative technology and methodologies. Armed with that knowledge and experience, you and your team will ensure that organisations can rely on secure and robust ICT networks and services both now and in the future. You’ll work closely with partners including universities, other knowledge institutes, service providers and product suppliers, both in the Netherlands and elsewhere. Your department’s work ranges from independent advice to exploratory research on high-potential technology. We also make technology applicable for a specific client or context, for example by developing a proof-of-concept.
Our clients include the Dutch Ministry of Defence, financial institutions, telecom service providers, and parties in the mobility and logistics sector. For many of those clients, secure and robust ICT is a crucial business success factor. Here are some examples of the role and involvement of the CSR department and TNO:
More about cyber security at TNO
- Developing technology for detecting advanced cyber attacks, together with various national and international partners;
- Investigating the security of new and planned systems for banking transactions;
- Researching the applicability of advanced cryptographic technology in the medical field, together with university and industry partners;
- Analysing and benchmarking the security level of European telecom providers, commissioned by the international sector association;
- Research programmes for the Dutch Ministry of Defence aimed at expanding its cyber security capability.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
With your sound IT background, you’ll deal with the actual technology in the research. You’re also able to draw attention to trends and new opportunities, assess technical feasibility, and establish and communicate a vision as part of a team. In addition, you’re capable of connecting different areas of expertise within our organisation, and you’ll guide the development of innovative technology and applications. You’re able to identify the challenges and wishes of our clients and use that knowledge to direct research and explore new opportunities. Regular coordination with clients will be an important aspect of your work. You therefore have good communication skills, have an independent mindset, and take a proactive approach to developing new initiatives.
What you’ll get in return
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.847 and € 6.478 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package
- TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field;
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home;
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis;
- Travel allowance or a bike;
- A good pension scheme;
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
TNO as an employer
The successful candidate will reinforce our Cyber Security & Robustness department, which consists of some 60 professionals. Where cyber security expertise is concerned, we are among the top organisations in the Netherlands. You may be employed in Groningen, in an office with about fifteen colleagues from your department. The advantage there is that you’ll know everybody by name. If you choose to be based in The Hague, you’ll be working in a larger office with flexible workplaces and colleagues who like to stroll into town during the lunch break. There’s an open and amical atmosphere at both sites. Your team will consist of a mix of junior and medior employees and a number of experienced specialists.Meet your colleagues
The selection process
You can apply till July 3, 2021. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Sandra Lemmens
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-23967752
Hiring manager: Daniëlle Keus
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6-20015789