What will you be doing?
Concrete structures play an important part in our society. The lifespan of (existing) concrete structures in built up environments are becoming an increasingly important topic. At TNO, we approach the improvement of the durability of concrete structures from three different perspectives: materials, structural strength and reliability. This often involves close collaboration with other research institutes and building administrators. We’re looking for an enthusiastic and passionate senior researcher who is able to combine applied science and practice so that we can make a difference in assessing and extending the lifespan of concrete structures. This senior researcher will be joining our team focusing on the material aspects of concrete structures.
In your role of Senior Scientist, you will play a crucial part in defining research programmes focussing on knowledge development (for example, the Early Research Programme on Structural Integrity).
You will also give practical advice on assessing the durability of concrete mixtures and structures and reinforcement corrosion. Such practical projects range from assessing the integrity of a concrete pipeline, to designing preventative or curative measures, to testing the durability of specific concrete mixtures or soil displacing walls.
What do we require of you?
In order to properly fulfil this senior research position, it is imperative that you can identify with the following profile:
- You are a scientist with at least 8 years of work experience;
- You have a university degree in Civil Engineering, Materials Science or a related discipline, preferably with a doctorate in the field of Corrosion or Concrete;
- You are an experienced advisor / consultant, you have experience in advising external parties on complex issues.;
- You have a relevant and active (international) network regarding the lifespan of concrete structures;
- You have a good understanding of the mechanical behaviour of structures, you are aware of the requirements these structures must meet and how material degradation figures in this respect. You have the ability to apply this knowledge to individual structures, but you can also provide a consideration on a range of structures; This gives you a feeling for asset management;
- Your knowledge of life-extending techniques and innovative solutions for concrete and concrete structures is up to date;
- You feel at home in the lab as well as on the building site. You have an apparent understanding of source research, experimental research, modelling and the use of various research techniques when assessing concrete structures;
- You like to work with multidisciplinary teams and have a keen eye for group processes and your colleagues' development;
- You get energy both from working in large multidisciplinary research projects and from participation in practice-based projects;
- You have a keen eye for defining commercial opportunities for customers and enjoy translating concrete problems into a tailored TNO research solution;
- Your command of the Dutch and English languages is perfect, both in speech and in writing. The ability to speak German is an advantage.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till June 20, 2017. The first and second round of interviews is scheduled on July 6, 2017. The third round of interviews is scheduled for July 13, 2017. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Kim Dielwart
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-15207318
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiringmanager: Adri Vervuurt
Phone number: 08886 63295