Senior Systems Engineer / Architect | Delft
Contributing to tomorrow’s Space Industry. Envision it. Become System Engineer at TNO in Delft!
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
TNO has over forty years of experience developing state-of-art and innovative technologies in the field of Space & Scientific Instrumentation. Examples of our work include satellite instruments that measure air pollution and greenhouse gases (e.g. TROPOMI and OMI), optical satellite communication systems that enable high bandwidth and secure communication, large- ground based telescope systems like VLT and ELT, or optical technology in the James Webb space telescope. The Space Systems Engineering (SSE) expert group develops and supplies opto-mechatronic instruments and systems for space, ground-based astronomy and scientific research. The demands placed on these systems are generally challenging the limits of technology. Creating such instruments therefore calls for a thorough project organisation, in which experts in the fields of electronics/detection, optics, mechatronics, manufacturing and testing work together in a multidisciplinary setting to achieve the desired result. We deliver innovations to international customers like the European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA, large companies like Airbus, SME companies, working closely together with universities (in- and outside of the Netherlands).
What will be your role?
We are currently looking for a System Engineer (SE) to join our team with a particular focus on (optical) payload development.
The System Engineer is technically overall responsible for the success of the project.
The typical tasks of the SE are the following:
- Analysis and maintenance of the customer requirements
- Identification of main design trade-offs and establishment of a design solution in close cooperation with the discipline experts
- Especially for the earlier, conceptual, project phases, also the definition of the overall solution architecture
- Requirements allocation, breakdown and downflow to subsystems
- Establish the Design Development and Verification approach and maintenance of the verification status
- Performance analysis
- Ensure a consistent and technically balanced baseline for cost effectiveness and development risk reduction
- Serving as the primary point of contact on technical matters towards the customer
- Internal technical coordination of the project activities
- Contribution to the improvement of internal SE processes
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- Have a MSc in Applied Physics or equivalent
- At least 5 year experience in space industry, or equivalent high-tech industry.
- Knowledge and experience of the SE processes and working experience with the some common tools like DOORS, Python, MatLab, MatCAD etc.
- A pioneering mentality, and you are comfortable with the uncertainty that comes with scientific and engineering challenges.
- Are a team player with excellent communication skills. With your energy, creativity and a boundless curiosity, you can convince and inspire colleagues and customers alike.
- Will contribute to the development of an excellent knowledge level at TNO (specialism, methods and techniques, product application).
What you’ll get in return
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 13th of June 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place in weeks 26 and 27. The second interview round has been scheduled for weeks 27 and 28. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Paul Verschoor
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-29236794
Hiring manager: Rob Willekers
Phone number: +31610633552