What will you be doing?
As a Software Engineer you will be responsible to translate the knowledge of domain experts into one combined result. The result is typically an embedded real-time automotive system or tooling to develop and verify these systems. To design and implement the required software tools, a good overview of the system is required, which needs to be obtained together with the function experts. Therefore you need to have good experience in team working, software integration and verification and validation. In the design process, the system requirements must be respected and the architecture should be set-up such that it enables smooth integration of the functionalities that are extendable in future projects.
Automotive real-time embedded systems typically rely on sensor data to actuate the braking, engine and steering system of a vehicle. Additionally interfaces with e.g. a cloud based system (e.g. for tooling/assessment) might be implemented. This means that it is essential to comply with and design for safety standards. Additionally, testability of the whole system and its parts is essential.
You will work in a team on the implementation, verification and validation of software/hardware systems and tools in applied research projects for automotive OEMs and TIERs, service providers, research and governmental organizations all around the world. These projects may focus at exploring innovative solutions for a single vehicle, but also on systems that will be deployed for large operational field tests (e.g. platooning). Next to this, you will be involved in the design of innovative verification and analysis tools which may be off-line or in the vehicle (real-time).
With the project team you will make impact with innovative solutions. Good communication, cooperation, and writing skills are essential for the interaction with multidisciplinary team and involved stakeholders (e.g. control, prediction, testing, functional & operational safety, system engineering).
The activities of the Software Engineer will, amongst others, consist of:
- Designing reliable and maintainable software applications;
- Development and maintenance of the simulation frameworks;
- Dissemination and reporting of implementation details;
- Setup the design of offline tools (e.g. for model-based safety engineering);
- Developing software given the architecture and design constrains;
- Defining verification and validation tests and integration of components;
- Assuring that developed software components and tests may be suitable for reuse.
What do we require of you?
- MSc in Computer Science / Robotics / Embedded Systems or related fields;
- 1 to 3 years of experience in software development;
- Experience in object oriented software design (C++, C#, Python) for different platforms;
- Experience with modelling languages (UML/SysML), system/software architecture, design patterns;
- Experience with Domain Specific Language development or Model Based Software Engineering;
- Experience with REST software architectures;
- Willingness and ability to understand knowledge from related fields;
- Well organized, with a structured approach to activities, within given constraints;
- Convincing oral and written communication skills in English;
- Willingness to travel internationally occasionally.
Preference will be given to candidates that, in addition, have: •Knowledge of distributed computing;
- Knowledge of automotive safety standards (ISO 26262, ASIL);
- Familiarity with automotive related control systems;
- Experience with real-time embedded systems;
- Experience with developing software with Matlab/Simulink;
- Experience with ROS;
- Knowledge of Model Based simulations;
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment.
What can you expect of your work situation?
Within the department Integrated Vehicle Safety (IVS) of TNO, we work with an integral approach on topics related to Autonomous Driving and Cooperative Mobility. Multiple disciplines like Control System Design, World modelling, Motion planning, Functional & operational safety, Sensor Fusion, V2V & V2X Communication, Electronics, Software Engineering, Assessment, Tooling etc. work together to enhance the automated vehicle and traffic safety and mobility.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till the 12th of May. The process comprises at least three (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Joost Heide, ter
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-141 83979
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Bastiaan Krosse
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 65396