Unit TNO Industry in Delft is driving explosive growth of Laser Satellite Communication, preparing for the next round of earth observation satellites and expanding her offer in cost competitive testing facilities for the semiconductor industry.
What will you be doing?
The main goal of this function is to ensure that the ambitious business objectives are realized through the selection and binding of the right suppliers. Further, Operations has embarked on a comprehensive improvement program covering Make Buy, performance and financial risk management. In view of this your second accountability will be to help drive this program by establishing the proper procurement practices and have them adopted by the full unit Industry.
- You will have a key role in the large strategic research projects, these are multiannual, complex high-tech projects with significant underperformance risks. Ensuring that these projects succeed requires close cooperation with the international market.
- You will map out the opportunities in the supply market, link them to the unit's business and research projects and forge sustainable partnerships with (potential) strategic suppliers.
- You will introduce the appropriate procurement practices in support of reaching the business goals and enabling a successful Operations improvement program, such as Category management, Supplier relationship management and contract and risk management.
- You will coach the specialists involved in the project procurement activities and obtain their commitment to follow your lead. Furthermore, as this position is brand-new, you will have a big influence on its development.
- You report operationally to the Director Operations and functionally to the Head of Procurement.
- You are a sparring partner of the Director Operations on supply chain subjects including Make Buy. You will regularly consult with the board and management.
What do we require of you?
You feel perfectly at home in a project and research environment and speak the language of highly educated technical professionals. You keep an eye on developments in the supply market and capitalise on opportunities for TNO. You successfully bind strategic suppliers through careful alignment of business needs and roadmaps, and by being a natural bridge builder. It's important that you have a strong learning ability.
What else can you offer?
- A university degree in a technical/engineering subject.
- At least five years of procurement / outsourcing experience close to a project driven R&D environment in a complex international high tech organization.
- A track record in defining and implementing significant projects (tech, people, money).
What can you expect of your work situation?
Within TNO you will work in the Procurement department. Here you will be part of a team of ten colleagues, including buyers and category managers. We ensure that our staff and researchers can count on receiving the right products and services at the right time. Although we work together a lot, you will also have a lot of freedom to organise your own work and to operate independently. We would also like to invite you to share ideas with us about the development of the department.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes. Visit this page
to find out more about our flexible terms of employment. TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till the 16th of August. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 24th of August.The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anouk Bos
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-413 74015
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Marcel Boone
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 68642