What will you be doing?
Your focus is on system integration. Take that naval vessel. You can imagine that the ship will only function if all autonomous and unmanned systems work well together. You design the architecture that is needed for this, so the basis is in your hands. Fortunately, you listen carefully to the demands and wishes of all involved, including customers, often in the field of defence and security, and partners in the business world, such as shipbuilders and suppliers. In the end, you deliver a software prototype in which all systems converge.
You work on several projects at the same time, using techniques in the field of artificial intelligence, (AI), robotics, mathematics, the internet of things and systems engineering. Besides that, you help professionalise our department. You take your colleagues into the world of software development, inspire them and are a source of information, bringing the intelligent systems of the future a step closer.Read more about distributed sensor systems at TNO.
What do we require of you?
Of course you are first and foremost a specialist in software design. You can translate the wishes and requirements of users into concrete software specifications and innovative solutions. Besides experience, you also bring creativity, communication skills and a practical view of software development, which you propagate and share with colleagues. We regularly work according to the scrum method, so it is an advantage if you are familiar with that. What else can you offer?
- A university master's degree in (technical) computer science, electrical engineering, robotics, applied mathematics or artificial intelligence. Or a similar course at a university of technology.
- At least three years' experience in designing and developing software systems.
- Experience with MATLAB, C++, Java and Python and the application of these programming languages in AI algorithms and systems.
- A structured way of working: you set up the framework for others, keep your documentation in order and make sure that your codes can also be easily understood by third parties.
- Affinity with the domain of defence and security.
What can you expect of your work situation?
Self-operating and autonomous systems have become an integral part of our society. Drones, robots, driverless cars, smart factories, intelligent sensor networks, smart grids and so on. The Distributed Sensor Systems department conducts research into the underlying technology of these types of systems. Using practical demonstrators and prototypes, we help customers develop new products and solve social issues. For example, our automation allows naval vessels to also sail with smaller crews; self-operating systems to operate collectively as a swarm; or buildings and data centers to learn for themselves where they can save energy. Our more than forty professionals work closely with government, industrial partners and universities.
What can TNO offer you?
Challenging and varied work. And full of opportunities because at TNO you are, by and large, the master of your own career. You get all the opportunities to develop yourself. Perhaps you want to become a senior or principal systems architect, dive deeper into consultancy or build a career as a project leader. At TNO you can put together a ‘menu’ of terms of employment that suit your personal situation. What you can expect:
Read here which terms of employment you can choose from.
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An utmost professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues.
- A growing team with enthusiastic people, who regularly do something fun together outside work, such as a drink, game or pub quiz.
- Flexible working times and the option of working from home.
- The opportunity to do courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences.
- Coaching, if required.
You can apply till the 28th of April. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Heleen Stork
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-515 34922
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Peter Jan Doets
Phone number: 08886 67041