What will be your role?
The Space & Systems Engineering (SSE) expert group develops and supplies opto-mechatronic instruments and systems for space, ground-based astronomy and scientific research. The demands placed on these systems are generally challenging the limits of technology. Creating such instruments therefore calls for a thorough project organisation, in which experts in the fields of optics, mechatronics, manufacturing and testing work together in a multidisciplinary setting to achieve the desired result. The management and realisation of these complex projects is the core-expertise of the SSE within the Unit Industry of TNO. Typically project are executed in close cooperation with the Optics and/or Opto-mechatronics groups. Next to System Engineering, also Project Management, PA and MAIT are amongst the core competences within SSE.
Read and see more
about the TNO Unit Industry.
The System Engineer is technically overall responsible for the success of the project. The typical tasks of the SE are the following:
- Analysis and maintenance of the customer requirements.
- Establishment of a design solution in close cooperation with the discipline experts.
- Requirements allocation, breakdown and downflow to subsystems.
- Establishment of the Design Development and Verification approach and maintenance of the verification status.
- Performance analysis.
- Ensure a consistent and technically balanced baseline for cost effectiveness and development risk reduction.
- Serving as the primary point of contact on technical matters towards the customer.
- Internal technical coordination of the project activities.
- Setup and maintain the process between the core-team disciplines SE, MAIT, PA and PM.
- Maintain the technical configuration.
- Contribution to the improvement of internal SE processes.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
We are looking for the below aspects in a successfull candidate:
- You have a MSc in applied physics or equivalent and at least 5 year experience in space industry or similar high tech environment, preferably in the field of (optical and electrical) payload development.
- Further, you have knowledge and experience of the SE processes as applied in space industry (ECSS) and working experience with the some common tools like DOORS, Python, MatLab, MatCAD etc.
- You have a pioneering mentality, and you are comfortable with the uncertainty that comes with scientific and engineering challenges.
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills.
- With your energy, creativity and a boundless curiosity, you can convince and inspire colleagues and customers alike.
- You will contribute to the development of an excellent knowledge level at TNO (specialism, methods and techniques, product application).
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3,200 and € 5,800 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before 16 August 2021. The selection process comprises of two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place in week 36/37. The second interview round has been scheduled for week 37/38. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Paul Verschoor
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-29236794
Hiring manager: Rob Willekers
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31610633552