Technical Consultant in modelling and control of heating transition | Delft
Contributing to tomorrow’s world. Envision it. Become a Technical Consultant at TNO in Delft
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
Expected large scale deployment of heating systems will profoundly change the energy infrastructure. However, this transformation comes with its own challenges. Intermittent nature of renewable sources require flexibility from the system, determining the optimal dispatch between different energy sources (water, electricity, gas) can be complicated and any design and control solution of today needs to be future-proof. Would you like to help us solve these challenges for current and future sustainable infrastructures?
What will be your role?
You will be asked to perform and/or oversee the modelling of large scale energy grids from flow and thermal perspectives and any subsequent design and operational control optimization. The projects involve prototyping MATLAB and/or Python software routines that will be used by your colleagues and by clients through professional software deployment. You will have close contact with public and private clients to improve efficiency of their energy production and transport systems and to develop novel, greener pathways and systems for decarbonization. In order to achieve this, you need to be a good conversational partner for both our internal and external contacts. Presenting research results, for example, is something we can safely leave to you. Your work will be strongly linked to the ambition of TNO to contribute to the energy transition in the Netherlands and at European level.
For more information about the Heat Transfer & Fluid Dynamics department and our projects, look at our website.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You have a Master (MSc) degree or PhD in preferably: Applied Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems and Control or Energy technology.
- Experience and/or ambition in leading scientific teams in public-private partnerships is preferred.
- During your studies or previous professional experience, you have gained experience on fluid dynamics and flow control.
- A background on modelling fluid dynamics processes is required.
- Experience on applying mathematical optimization techniques and machine learning is preferred.
- Experience with software development in Matlab and/or Python is required as well as an ambition to expand into professional (local and/or cloud) deployment of software with Java, C/C++, containerization with Docker etc.
- You enjoy and have the ability to troubleshoot complex problems in which you are capable to problem-solve on your own initiative and together in a team. You have attention to details.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English is required and knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 13th of June. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 28th of June. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Anouk Bos
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-413 74015
Hiring manager: Erik Nennie
Phone number: 08886 66414