What will you be doing?
As a trainee, you switch departments every 8 months. You work in a department and role of your choice so that you can develop yourself to the full and grow within TNO. After your traineeship you know what your talents and strengths are and how you want to shape your future. Then you’re ready to take the next step and choose a role in which both you and TNO benefit from your talents.
You will have a five-day working week at TNO during your traineeship and it consists of the following three components:
- Work in the department: you work at one of the departments at TNO for 3.5 days per week. It is up to you to choose the department, as well as your role. Roles include: project leader, consultant, researcher and business developer. Here you work on knowledge-driven projects that are related to societal issues and that focus on making impact by creating products or providing policy and process recommendations for government or industry. In these projects you collaborate with experienced project managers and senior researchers.
- Trainee activities: one day a week you will be occupied with activities focused on personal development and professional skills. You take part in monthly operational trainee meetings, workshops, training courses, peer review sessions and individual coaching. We have a dedicated Manager Trainees who challenges and supports you throughout the whole traineeship.
- Internal strategy projects: half a day per week, you work on internal strategy projects for TNO with fellow trainees. Together with higher management, you tackle a challenging issue that an internal TNO client faces.
Read more about Evie and her traineeship in this blog
Gaining confidence and learning more about myself through the challenges I seize is what’s most important to me about the traineeship. Evie Cox, TNO trainee
What do we require of you?
Choosing your own path in a large organisation like TNO is a great opportunity that also demands personal responsibility. The ideal TNO trainee possesses the following qualities:
- You have a wide fascination, knowledge base and experience to help solve societal and economic issues. And you have not yet chosen the field or role that fits you best.
- You are driven by knowledge and you like translating it into practice.
- You want to innovate and you look beyond the status quo. You are bold in generating new ideas.
- You have strong communication skills, which allow you to connect with the people around you and work towards new solutions.
- You want to excel, you love a challenge and are comfortable with taking responsibility. You take control in your work as well as in your own development.
And you have to meet the following two requirements:
- You have a maximum of two years’ working experience.
- You have a broad interest, which is shown by the extra-curricular activities in addition to your studies.
Want to become a great scientist? Check out our junior positions in our TNO Talent Development Programme
In addition to these qualities, you have recently graduated (MSc or PhD) in one of the following study backgrounds:
- Aerospace engineering
- Artificial intelligence
- Automotive Technology
- Building technology, building physics
- Chemistry (analytical or organic)
- Chemical engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer science
- Data science
- Electrical engineering
- Health sciences
- Industrial design
- Innovation science
- Marine engineering
- Materials sciences & engineering
- Mathematics (applied or technical)
- Mechanical engineering
- Physics (applied or technical)
- Process technology
- Sustainable Energy Technology
- Systems & control
- Systems engineering
- Work- and organisational, social or cognitive psychology
What can you expect of your work situation?
- As a trainee you will be part of the trainee group, consisting of 26 (international) trainees.
- This group acts as a sounding board, sparring partner and source of knowledge and experience that is of great value and is essential to your traineeship.
- TNO exists of 3800 employees, divided over 60 departments, spread out over 35 different locations.
- Our clients are governments, SMEs, large corporations, service providers and social organisations (NGOs).
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
In order to be admitted to the TNO traineeship, you will participate in the selection. This selection consists of three steps, namely:
Step 1: CV selection
Deadline for application: Sunday 13 October 2019
By using the application form you can upload your CV, letter of application and a short video in which you answer the question: "what makes me tick?".
Selection moment 1: If your CV, letter of application and video match our wishes and criteria for the traineeship, then we invite you to the trainee selection day with a personal programme for that day. You will receive a message from us by Wednesday 30 October at the latest.
Step 2: TNO trainee selection day
The TNO Trainee selection day takes place at Friday 15 November 2019
Before the trainee selection day takes place, you take the LTP capacity test. You will receive an invitation. During the selection day at our head office in The Hague, you will have two job interviews, fulfil a group assignment and make a pitch. You will also get to know current and former trainees.
Selection moment 2: Based on the evaluation of all parts of the selection so far, we invite you to the next round.
Step 3: Assessment
The assessments takes place at 25, 26 OR 27 November 2019
The final step to the TNO traineeship consists of an extensive assessment in which you will be tested on important competencies by LTP.
Selection moment 3: Based on the feedback from LTP, we make our final decision which candidates will be hired for the traineeship. If you are chosen, then you will receive an invitation to the interview on terms and condition of employment.
After the final selection, you receive an offer with a starting date of 1 February 2020.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anna Herder
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-219 15675
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Hella Petit
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 60637