Junior Cyber Security Researcher | Groningen
Working with various national and international partners to develop technology for detecting advanced cyber attacks. If that appeals to you, then join TNO in The Hague or Groningen as a Junior Cyber Security Researcher.
What will be your role?
Your colleagues will have an in-depth knowledge of (technical) cyber security and quantitative models and algorithms, as well as wide experience in developing and applying innovative technology and methodologies. Armed with that knowledge and experience, you and your team will ensure that organisations can rely on secure and robust ICT networks and services both now and in the future. You’ll work closely with partners including universities, other knowledge institutes, service providers and product suppliers, both in the Netherlands and elsewhere. Your department’s work ranges from independent advice to exploratory research on high-potential technology. We also make technology applicable for a specific client or context, for example by developing a proof-of-concept.
Our clients include the Dutch Ministry of Defence, financial institutions, telecom service providers, and parties in the mobility and logistics sector. For many of those clients, secure and robust ICT is a crucial business success factor. Here are some examples of the role and involvement of the CSR department and TNO:
- Developing technology for detecting advanced cyber attacks, together with various national and international partners;
- Investigating the security of new and planned systems for banking transactions;
- Researching the applicability of advanced cryptographic technology in the medical field, together with university and industry partners;
- Analysing and benchmarking the security level of European telecom providers, commissioned by the international sector association;
- Research programmes for the Dutch Ministry of Defence aimed at expanding its cyber security capability.
In order to expand the team, we are looking for a Junior Cyber Security Researcher.
As an aspiring Cyber Security researcher, you’re fascinated by technology and you enjoy discovering more about new technologies and related issues. You’ll soon join project teams working on innovations in the field of Cyber Security. The projects will often be carried out in collaboration with partners from outside TNO. With your sound IT background, you’ll deal with the actual technology in your projects. The work of a Junior Cyber Security Researcher at TNO offers a great deal of variety. You’ll be working on a number of different projects simultaneously, together with colleagues from your own department, but also with colleagues from other (IT) disciplines. Depending on your personal interests and abilities, these projects will range from short-term consultancy for clients to long term research, or a combination of these. An important part of your work will involve creating proof-of-concepts and developing new technology.
Read more about cybersecurity at TNO
What we expect from you
Thinking in terms of creative solutions is in your DNA. You’re passionate about technology and driven to find out how things really work. You study matters in depth, and you voice your opinion when your subject is concerned. But you don’t just excel when sitting at the computer – you’re also good at working in project teams and communicating with clients and colleagues. And what about if you get stuck or can’t work something out? No problem! You can always ask your colleagues to help, and you’ll tackle the issue as a team.
- A Master’s degree or PhD, preferably in computer science, informatics, or another technical discipline;
- Experience and affinity with complex ICT infrastructures;
- A keen interest in the latest technological developments and the drive to constantly seek innovation;
- A hacker’s mindset, because you also look at “what’s on the inside”;
- Good communication skills for dealing with your colleagues and your cooperation partners and clients (including internationally).
What you'll get in return
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2.744 and € 4.955 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- A good pension scheme.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
TNO as an employer
The successful candidate will reinforce our Cyber Security & Robustness department, which consists of some 60 professionals. Where cyber security expertise is concerned, we are among the top organisations in the Netherlands. You may be employed in Groningen, in an office with about fifteen colleagues from your department. The advantage there is that you’ll know everybody by name. If you choose to be based in The Hague, you’ll be working in a larger office with flexible workplaces and colleagues who like to stroll into town during the lunch break. There’s an open and amical atmosphere at both sites. Your team will consist of a mix of junior and medior employees and a number of experienced specialists.
Meet your colleagues
The selection process
The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an assessment of presentation. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.