Experienced LCA Expert Circular Plastics | Utrecht
Contributing to transition towards a Circular future. Envision it. Become an LCA expert circular plastics at TNO in Utrecht.
About this position
TNO’s business unit Circular Economy and Environment is looking for an experienced LCA expert.
What will be your role?
With the multi-disciplinary team you develop new and improved methodologies to implement circularity in LCA and bring additional experience with respect to social LCA and economic impact. Together with the multi-disciplinary science team you will develop high level proposals for national and international programs. You present your project outcome and contributes to acquisition of projects. You will work in a team that applies state-of-the-art LCA-methodologies for assessing sustainability of (plastic) products, various processing technologies and value chains & networks. Furthermore, this team develops and improves current LCA-methods to take into account circularity, recycling, litter (rivers, oceans), biomass - land use, etc. Finally, the team is working on a decision-support platform for plastics circularity.
What we expect from you
- You have a background in Industrial ecology, environmental sciences or chemical engineering and at least a MSc or PhD in modelling of impact assessment or LCA development.
- Additional at least 5-7 years relevant working experience.
- You have relevant experience in advising governments and industry partners on sustainability and circular economy and used to work in complex multi-level stakeholder groups.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4978,- and € 6600,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A challenging environment for talent, where you can work with passion on topics that matter!
- A multidisciplinary team, with cooperation with other TNO teams and stakeholders from industry and government.
- A good pension scheme.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses or a bicycle.
- Possibility of a permanent contract
- 28 holiday days and 5 atv days (with fulltime employment).
- Activities with your team and other TNO employees, such as the monthly get-together. This way you quickly get to know many people.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work at home.
- Opportunity to follow courses, training and workshops and to visit congresses, and coaching if you need it.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
Within the Circular Economy & Environment unit, the CAS (Climate, Air & Sustainability) expertise group analyses the impact of human activity on the environment.
The core expertise of CAS is quantitative impact analysis of environmental, socio-economic and technological developments through a) quantitative life cycle information on the sustainability of products and technologies to foster the development of the circular economy and b) monitoring and modelling the fate of pollutant emissions that contribute to climate change, poor air quality and ecosystem degradation. Our focus areas, and therefore our employees, are at the heart of the social debate: climate change, energy transition, clean air, transition to a (more) circular economy and preventing biodiversity degradation.
The selection process
The application procedure consists of two rounds of interviews. In a final, third interview, we discuss the conditions of employment, which you put together yourself. We aim to complete the entire procedure within four weeks.
An online assessment and reference check can be part of the selection procedure.
Due to the corona measures, the application procedure and the introductory period look different than usual. You will receive more information about this with your invitation for the first interview.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.