Internship | Solid Oxide Cell Components Development For High Temperature Electroysis
About this position
Solid Oxide Electrolyzer (SOE) is mainly seen as technology for industrial hydrogen production, because of the high efficiency and the potential for heat integration within industrial processes to produce bulk chemicals such as ammonia and methanol. It offers possibilities for process integration with chemical processes leading to efficiency benefits. In addition to hydrogen production, the technology offers the possibility of reducing CO2 to carbon monoxide and tuning the composition of syngas by means of co-electrolysis to required C-H-O ratios for subsequent conversions towards products such as methanol, DME and methane. The main technological challenges in the development of SOE to be implemented on a large industrial scale are the cost reduction of the SOE system to
What will be your role?
During your internship, your main tasks will be to:
- Characterize and optimize ceramic powders & electrode layers, via input from divers materials characterization techniques (BET, Dilatometry and microscopy analyses)
- Optimize electrode layers deposition process by low cost printing techniques
- Optimize sintering conditions of the electrode layers with in-house control and quality
- Contribute to the actual printing of Solid Oxide cell in a scaled-up lab-manufacturing infrastructure and the characterization of their novel design (e.g. SEM, EDX)
- Participate to the validation and performance assessment of the novel electrode components & cell design by electrochemical testing (I-V curves, impedance)
What we expect from you
- Material chemistry or chemical engineering education (Specialty in ceramic materials)
- Eager to learn about electrochemistry and electrochemical methods
- Proactive attitude
- Critical thinking & strong analytical skills
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.