Project Manager Buildings, Infrastructure and Maritime
Contribute to tomorrow’s world. Envision it. Become a project manager at TNO in Delft.
About this position
You’ll lead complex research projects and consultancy assignments within TNO’s Building, Infrastructure & Maritime (BI&M) unit. The BI&M unit works on solutions aimed at facilitating the transition into a safe and sustainable living environment. All the unit’s projects contribute to this theme, even if the topics of the projects vary widely. Consider, for instance, predicting the lifecycle of a flood barrier, developing a new, circular building concept, or finding reliable calculation methods to assess the safety of ships and constructions using new, sustainable fuels at sea. As a project leader, you’ll guide project teams made up of between 8 and 15 substantive experts. In terms of content, you’ll be more involved from the sidelines. Your task will be to adequately guide the project, align well with clients and stakeholders, and stimulate and unburden your team.
What will be your role?
Projects are successfully delivered under your management. You’ll make sure that contractual agreements and budgets are met, and that the client is satisfied – even if the end result is not what was initially anticipated. In addition, you’ll focus on good publicity and encourage a maximum learning effect among project staff. You’ll have a lot of freedom to work in the way that suits you. There are also opportunities to spar and exchange experiences with other project managers.
Within the BI&M unit, you’ll become part of a diverse, international group of roughly 200 colleagues, subdivided over three departments. Your background and areas of interest will determine which of the three departments you’ll be working in within the BI&M unit. Whichever team you end up in, work at BI&M is guaranteed to be varied, innovative, and impactful.
On average, project leaders run between four and eight projects or one or more programmes simultaneously. This entails a great deal of variety! As an experienced project manager, you’ll be concerned with the larger and more complex projects. For example, you’ll work on multidisciplinary projects that transcend your team, department, or even unit. Your projects may comprise research, questions related to knowledge development, or advice trajectories. You’ll be working on them for or in collaboration with public authorities, companies in the design, construction, and engineering sectors, and/or housing corporations. In this way, you’ll be contributing to innovative solutions to, for instance, extend the lifecycle of infrastructure and buildings, accelerate the energy transition in the built environment, or achieve sustainable and safe constructive solutions for the shipping industry. Or prestigious projects in which we collaborate with other research institutions in a European consortium.
What we expect from you
Making sure projects (and cooperation between parties within projects) run smoothly – there’s nothing you enjoy more. You speak the language of the substantive experts, but also show your added value in meetings with other partners. You’re able to switch between projects and parties like no other, always getting the best out of a team. You establish the goal for every project, while continuously ensuring that parties remain aware of it. You don't shy away from administrative tasks; your precise and structured way of working ensures that everyone knows exactly where they stand and what the status of the project is. Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master’s degree or PhD, preferably in the direction of physics, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, building physics, innovation management, or industrial design.
- At least ten years of experience as a project leader in a research environment.
- Excellent oral and written communicative skills in both Dutch and English.
- Preferably, an IPMA-C certification or the equivalent.
- Experience leading innovation projects in the construction and engineering sector is an advantage.
- Experience with subsidy programmes, such as the TKI allowance scheme and/or Horizon 2020, is an advantage.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4,850,- and € 6,600,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to TNO’s project managers guild: a network of some three hundred equals. The guild organizes workshops, conferences, intervision sessions and other activities for project managers.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
The selection process
The selection process comprises three interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.