Internship | Printed Temperature Sensors
About this position
Holst Centre is an Open Innovation research center founded by TNO and IMEC and is located on the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. One of its research areas is “printed sensors”; targeting devices such as temperature and pressure sensors on flexible substrates. Holst Centre is developing printable temperature sensors together with industry. Working in a small team, the student will be responsible for establishing a process method for a printed temperature sensor. The student will be responsible for optimizing material compositions towards suitable properties for preliminary applications. This student project will be an internship and/or master thesis with a duration of at least 6 months.
What will be your role?
- Develop a stable, screen-printable temperature sensor that can be processed on plastic substrates;
- Optimize the performance of temperature sensors by evaluating its resistance and humidity-dependence behavior;
- Measure the electronic properties and stability of the printed sensor;
- Formulate new and relevant measurement setups and protocols;
- Support integration of printed temperature sensors within Holst Centre’s other technologies.
What we expect from you
- Knowledge acquisition through literature survey, discussion with other team members, and internal seminars/colloquiums;
- Performing electrical and material characterization;
- Performing experiments in clean-rooms and chemical labs; establishing new measurement set-ups and protocols;
- Analysis and presentation of experimental data;
- Documentation of results in a technical report;
- Presentation of results in internal seminars/colloquiums.
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.