Junior scientist 5G/6G | The Hague
Contribute to the mobile technology of tomorrow with innovative cloud applications. Envision it. Become a junior scientist 5G/6G at TNO in The Hague.
About this position
Smart technologies, such as in agriculture, transport or factories, require ever faster mobile networks. The technology of 6G is already being developed, while 5G still offers many opportunities. As a junior scientist 5G/6G at TNO in The Hague, you’ll develop and integrate new concepts in the latest internet and communication technologies, in domains such as the cloud, defence, self-driving cars, or the virtual-reality media domain. Which projects will you be contributing to? You can make this choice yourself based on your interests. Develop yourself as a scientist at the forefront of innovative mobile technology!
What will be your role?
In project teams of five to ten colleagues, you’ll develop and integrate new features and technologies in 5G/6G testbeds. You’ll be working on multiple projects simultaneously, for telecom companies or in a European context (such as Hexa-X in the realm of 6G). Within the projects, you’ll independently work on development tasks. Together with your team, you’ll translate ideas from paper into pragmatic, innovative applications, which you’ll then implement. Your ‘products’ are proof of concepts, demonstrators, and simulation platforms.
Your home base is the Networks expertise group of the ICT unit. A fun and diverse team of 70 highly educated colleagues from different backgrounds and with differing levels of experience. All our areas of expertise (such as cloud, 5G/6G, and media) come together in our projects. We offer a safe, low-threshold environment in which you can quickly find your way. You’re not alone at TNO; we support each other and are open to your ideas! How to get to know us? By participating in our knowledge sessions and fun (currently virtual) departmental outings.
Read more about Networks.
What we expect from you
Working at the interface of research and pragmatic solutions gives you energy. In doing so, you’re able to quickly switch between different projects (such as setting up fully automatic 5G networks without human intervention or the manual configuration of servers and networks). And you enjoy learning about areas in which your knowledge is lacking. You’re a scientist after all! Working together and communicating with people from different backgrounds is one of your strong points. Additionally, you will work independently on your contributions to projects, for which you take responsibility.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master’s degree or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience with Linux systems.
- Knowledge of an experience with programming languages, such as Python, C++, or Java. Missing knowledge is quickly brushed up.
- Experience with or a significant interest in software-defined radio.
- A good command of the English language, since you’ll be working in international teams.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3000,- and € 4500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself. Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Possibility of a permanent contract
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- An employer that appreciates and stimulates diverse talent, through initiatives including the Female Leadership Programme, our Rainbow Community, and roundtables on inclusion themes.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- Travel allowance or a bike
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Telefoon:+31 6 23 96 77 52
LinkedIn:Sandra on LinkedIn
Annemieke KipsFunctie:Hiring manager
‘What we develop is used worldwide’. Annemieke Kips is research manager Networks. She firmly believes in the relevance of her department’s expertise and is proud of a team that can compete with the world’s best.
Standplaats:Den Haag - New Babylon