Internship | R&D of Tandem Solar Cells, Modules and PV Systems
Do you want to accelerate the Energy Transition? Join our expert team and challenge yourself into developing the latest advancement in Solar Energy technology.
What will be your role?
We want to accelerate the market introduction of the Tandem Solar Energy technology. Tandem technology overcomes the current limit of photovoltaic modules namely the single-junction efficiency-limit by better using the light spectrum. Tandem enables efficiency potential up to 40% and beyond. The project deals with three main pillars:
- Developing advanced tandem devices, bifacial and with different electrical configurations (4T, 2T) and their interconnections and encapsulation into modules.
- Reliability of modules including accelerated aging test, outdoor test and fabrication of minimodules.
- Improved light management and energy yield calculation including prototyping and testing.
The work consists in hands-on experience and data collection and analysis as well as modelling (optical) and validation.
What we expect from you
- The duration of this internship is at least 6 months and ideally 10-12 months, preferably in the MSc phase of your study. Please clearly mention duration availability and starting period in your application.
- The location is Petten and/or Eindhoven.
- A background in physics, chemistry, material science or electrical engineering. Practical experience in lab environment and hands-on skills are preferable.
- Interest in the energy transition.
- High motivation, with a curious nature and a taste for problem-solving.
- Ability to work autonomously within a small team and good social skills to get the information you need from the most knowledgeable people around you.
- Good communication skills (in English).
- You need to be affiliated with a university for eligibility.
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; an internship gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable internship compensation.
TNO as an employer
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness. We are an international team with diverse cultural background. We embrace everyone with respect, open mind and warm heart.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
For this internship vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance (VGB) after conducting a security screening. Take into account that this process may take about 8 weeks. If you have been abroad for more than 6 consecutive months, or if you do not have the Dutch nationality, it may take longer. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.