Internship | Parameter identification for the Digital Twin of a fuel cell electric truck based on real-life data
About this position
Are you interested in contributing to a more sustainable future? In the powertrains department, we work to develop modern means of transport such that they meet strict gas regulations and contribute to a greener future.
What will be your role?
Zero emission transport will be the future. However, there are several different technologies on the verge all striving to achieve this goal. At the powertrains department of TNO, we are driven to find out which of the emission free powertrain solutions are best suited for certain applications, also considering that with a large variety of use cases the answer to this question might differ. One of these technologies are hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEV) which is considered a potential solution for zero emission trucks – for instance for heavy-duty long-haul or construction applications. High-quality simulation models for components and full vehicles do not only allow for optimized powertrain and control designs, tailored to a specific transport application or customer need. Fed with real-life data of an actual truck, they can also serve as a digital twin which allows the transport company to optimize its operations even further.
The goal of the assignment is to design fitting tools which can utilize real-life operational data to calibrate components of FCEV models based on the powertrain library of TNO’s inhouse tool chain ADVANCE. Furthermore, these tools will be applied to calibrate the digital twin of a fuel cell truck which will be tested in one of our current research projects.
Starting off with a literature study on identification and validation methods, you will also familiarize yourself with TNO’s inhouse modelling tools and existing fitting tools for other applications and libraries. Based on this you will start defining your methods for identification and validation and test them on vehicle data. You will finalize your work with an internship report and a presentation where you share your developments with the department.
During this project you have the chance to learn a lot about electrified trucks – especially with respect to FCEV – and about vehicle modelling. You will also have to deal with different qualities of available data and find ways to come to the best solution from a full system perspective.
- Literature survey and knowledge development
- Familiarize yourself with approaches for vehicle modelling
- Familiarize yourself with TNO’s inhouse modelling tools and fitting tools
- Literature survey on model identification and validation
- Project outline
- Define suitable methods for component model identification and validation
- Prioritize the work and define which components require the most attention
- Implementation and model identification
- Implement the defined identification methods in a MATLAB-based tool
- Test and apply the tool using real-life operational data
- Validate the results of the identification with the previously defined methods
- Estimate the impact of available data quality on the results
- Document your results in an internship report
- Compose a short presentation covering the most relevant parts of the project and present them to the department
- Create an instruction document summarizing the implementation
- Generate the final version of the code with relevant comments
What we expect from you
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, systems and control, electrical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, systems and control, electrical engineering
- Knowledge in Matlab/Simulink
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.