Experienced Projectmanager Geoscience
Contributing to the energy transition. Envision it. Become a geoscience project manager at TNO in Utrecht.
About this position
European research into new methods for CO2 storage in existing gas fields. The development of monitoring software for the optimisation of sustainable energy production. Research into the more efficient production of geothermal energy. Technology development for storage of hydrogen in the subsurface. These are just a few examples of the research projects conducted by the Applied Geosciences department of TNO in Utrecht. Depending on the scope, you will oversee several of such projects in your role as project manager.
What will be your role?
Together with a business developer and a lead scientist, you will be involved in the development of projects from the early stages of development. You will also have the flexibility to manage the projects that you find most interesting. The project may involve either a single client or a group of clients. TNO operates alone or as part of an (international) consortium. During the early phase, you help to draft the proposal and once the client or the stakeholders are on board, you will define the project work plan and the deliverables. During the project's execution, it is important that you manage the project’s timeline, funds and results from the very beginning, based on a good working relationship with the client and project stakeholders.
For each project, you will be responsible for forming a team of scientists from the Applied Geosciences research group, which is made up of approximately seventy highly driven researchers coming from a variety of international backgrounds with a wealth of expertise. Among them are geologists, geophysicists, geomechanicists and physicists. You will often collaborate with researchers from other TNO departments and external national or international partners, including governments, universities and the industry. Your role as project manager will be to make sure the team performs efficiently and effectively. You are an expert at dealing with team members’ concerns and obstacles and you know how to foster a strong group feeling. These dynamics and the societal issues you contribute to ensure each project presents a unique challenge.
What we expect from you
No surprises: that defines your style. Using clear communication, you outline the goals for a given project from the outset. You operate in an organised and plan-based manner and maintain a good balance between accommodating the client and achieving results. You are a true connector and know how to keep the client, the stakeholders and your team satisfied. You also possess a keen understanding of the political interests that are at stake, particularly in studies conducted at the European level. You take full responsibility for every project you lead. Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO will include:
- A university-level master's degree in the field of geosciences.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience as a project manager, preferably in a geoscientific setting.
- Excellent communication and writing skills and experience with the writing of project proposals.
- Proven experience with managing large and complex collaborations with multi-national (energy) companies.
- A track record of mentorship and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- High level stakeholder management; commercial mindset.
- The willingness and availability to travel (abroad) for client meetings, mostly within European boundaries.
- 32-40 hours a week availability.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 5.500,- and € 6.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to TNO’s project managers guild: a network of some three hundred equals. The guild organizes workshops, conferences, intervision sessions and other activities for project managers.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 5th of December, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 12th of December, 2022. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 16th of December, 2022. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter