Junior scientist business models
Contributing to the world of tomorrow. Envision it. Become a Junior scientist business models at TNO in The Hague.
About this position
How do you successfully bring sustainable innovations to the market? How do you finance digitalisation or energy efficiency? What is the role that collaboration and business models play in this respect? In which innovations and business models are companies prepared to invest and why? Together with colleagues, you will develop business insights to provide answers to such questions. By doing so, you will become an expert on business models for various transitions, in connection with, for example, digitalisation, sustainability and the energy transition.
What will be your role?
You will participate in project teams conducting applied research into earning models, business models and forms of collaboration that are necessary for achieving sustainable and technology-driven innovations, answering questions such as:
- What is the impact of new technologies on the structure of the associated business models?
- How do we facilitate collaboration and trust with regard to sharing, integrating and applying data?
- How can we translate circularity and sustainability into new business models? What is the role that new technologies play in this respect?
- What forms of business collaboration are successful in achieving the energy transition on business parks? And which in achieving the energy transition in a major industrial cluster? How can we pursue a sustainable value chain and under what conditions?
- How do you motivate parties to design new business models to include innovations? How do we gain insight into the financing of new forms of collaboration? How do we ensure that both costs and benefits are shared in a fair way?
- What methodological support is required to develop such new business models or new forms of collaboration?
For all these questions, it is essential to understand the existing business models of the organisations involved as well as possible new collaborative business models. You will design collaborative business models by directly interacting with the organisations involved. Because for innovations to be successful, modified or even new value chains are required, based on the ecosystem perspective and thinking in terms of collaboration. But how should they be organised? How will costs and risks be allocated? How do we put in place the appropriate decision-making procedures to facilitate this? Together with your colleagues and practitioners, you will shed light on the possible answers to such questions.
You will work in multidisciplinary project teams, fulfilling the role of the business economics and business administration expert. You will work on the development of methods and come up with business solutions and answers by applying these methods. You will usually be involved in several projects simultaneously. You are clear and persuasive in communicating the essential elements of complex concepts and analysis, both to customers and colleagues, in publications and during presentations.
"You can see that TNO considers learning and development important in the way TNO employees interact with each other. You can always go to your colleagues for feedback, and they will support you in planning your personal development. Having the freedom to follow your own path has two benefits. Firstly, employees enjoy doing work that they’re good at. Secondly, because each individual enjoys something different, TNO has a huge amount of in-house diversity and expertise."
What we expect from you
You have a keen interest in the theme of sustainability and digitalisation. This means that, for instance, making a major contribution to accelerating the energy transition or the digital transformation of companies is really something that gives you satisfaction. You have already seen or experienced that collaboration between organisations is crucial for the success of transitions. You are eager to understand what drives or stops companies and governments from implementing innovations, how value chains relating to new innovations should be organised, and what kind of business models and partnerships between parties are needed. You will do this both through deskwork and contact with organisations. In addition, you are keen to develop yourself and enjoy finding solutions independently.
You use your analytical qualities and aptitude for thinking out of the box to develop your inventive business models and methodological support.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master's degree in business economics or business administration and 0-2 years of work experience.
- An affinity for 'action research', in which you develop new methods in projects for and with different types of companies.
- The ability or interest to motivate and support small and medium-sized businesses with regard to the implementation of innovations.
- You are a team player who thrives in multidisciplinary teams.
- You have experience in organising workshops and interviews with companies, contacting people independently, reaching out to organisations etc., or are willing to develop these skills.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.340,- and € 4.000,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 8th of December, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 15th or 19th of December 2022. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 11th of January, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.