Scientist Business Models
Contributing to the world of tomorrow. Envision it. Become a Scientist Business Models at TNO in The Hague.
About this position
How do you successfully bring innovations to the market? How do you finance innovations for improving digitalisation or sustainability? What is the role that collaboration and business models play in this respect? In which innovations and business models are companies prepared to invest and why? Together with colleagues, you will develop business insights to provide answers to such questions. By doing so, you will become an expert on business models for various transitions, in connection with, for example, digitalisation, the circular economy and the energy transition.
What will be your role?
You will participate in project teams conducting applied research into business models, value chains and forms of collaboration that are necessary for achieving sustainable innovations, answering questions such as:
- How should existing value chains be adapted to achieve sustainability goals or ensure the circular use of materials? Who will play which part? How will this impact the earning potential of individual companies? How can this be scaled up?
- How do you motivate parties to design new business models to include innovations? How do you finance these new forms of collaboration? Who will be involved and why?
- What methodological support is required to develop such new business models or new forms of collaboration? How can we use insights gained from transition studies to orchestrate more powerful chain transformations?
For all these questions, it is essential to understand the existing business models and value chains of the organisations involved as well as possible new chain configurations. You will design collaborative business models by directly interacting with the organisations involved. Because for innovations to be successful, modified or even new value chains are required. But how should they be organised? How will costs and risks be allocated? Together with your colleagues and practitioners, you will shed light on the possible answers to such questions. You will use a variety of research methods to do so and are not afraid to immerse yourself in academic literature.
You will work in multidisciplinary project teams, fulfilling the role of the business economics and business administration expert. You will work on the development of methods and come up with business solutions and answers by applying these methods. You will usually be involved in several projects simultaneously. As a mid-level researcher, you will also independently set up the research lines for specific projects. You enjoy helping junior colleagues in this respect, contributing to their development. You are clear and persuasive in communicating the essential elements of complex concepts and analysis, both to customers and colleagues, in publications and during presentations.
Read more about TNO's methodological support for business model innovation
"At TNO, we focus on today’s challenges as well as do a lot of research for the world of tomorrow. Through our work in public-private partnerships with our academic and industrial partners, we know what society needs both now and in the future."
What we expect from you
You have a keen interest in the themes of sustainability and digitalisation. This means that, for instance, making a major contribution to accelerating the energy transition or the digital transformation of companies is really something that gives you satisfaction. You have already seen or experienced that collaboration between organisations is crucial for the success of transitions but that collaboration, unfortunately, is not always self-evident or easy to achieve. You are eager to understand what drives or stops companies and governments from implementing innovations, how value chains relating to new innovations should be organised, and what kind of business models and partnerships between parties are needed. You will do this both through deskwork and contact with organisations. In addition, you are keen to develop yourself and enjoy finding solutions independently.
You use your analytical qualities and aptitude for thinking out of the box to develop your inventive business models and methodological support.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master's degree or PhD in business economics or transition studies.
- At least 3 years of work experience in the field of sustainability, digitalisation and/or innovation.
- Strong communication skills, being able to speak both Dutch and English at at least B2 level.
- An affinity for 'action research', in which you develop new methods in projects for and with different types of companies.
- The ability to apply insights gained from academic literature to your everyday projects and work.
- The desire to use the insights and data gained from projects to write and publish academic articles.
- You are a team player who thrives in multidisciplinary teams.
- You have experience in supervising junior colleagues participating in projects.
- You have experience in organising workshops and interviews with companies, contacting people independently, reaching out to organisations etc.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.000,- and € 6.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 7th of December, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 15th or 19th of December, 2022. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 12th of January, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.