Scientist Innovator in the Construction, Infrastructure and Maritime domain
Contribute to a more sustainable world using your research skills. Envision it. Become a Scientist Innovator at TNO in Delft.
What will be your role?
As a scientist, you will work on research projects for clients in the Building, Infrastructure and Maritime domain (Building, Infrastructure and Maritime | TNO).
You will do so as a member of one of the research groups of the Mobility & Built Environment (MBE) unit, working with colleagues in multidisciplinary project teams. You will begin by following an internal training programme geared towards your personal development as well as the general skills that are important when working for TNO. We will also sit down with you to see if there are any training courses in specific subjects you may want to follow to further deepen or expand your knowledge. This will help you to quickly become a full-fledged member of the team and participate in the research group's projects.
Your challenge? Translating client issues into practically feasible and impactful solutions. You will always work on several research projects simultaneously. Analysing, designing, testing and reporting; these are your main tasks as a scientist. Testing is usually done by computer simulation or in one of our modern laboratories, but frequently also 'in the field' at the client.
The specific projects you will work on will be determined in consultation with you, based on your knowledge and ambitions. In any case, there are plenty of options. Some examples:
Predicting the service life of a storm surge barrier; developing a new circular construction concept; finding reliable calculation methods to determine the safety of ships and offshore structures when using new, renewable fuels. Or digital twinning research to improve our infrastructure? It is all possible. You can further shape your career path at TNO along the various so-called development lines. This could be as a scientist, of course, but it could also turn out that project management, consultancy, business development or, in the longer term, line management matches your talents.
"You can see that TNO considers learning and development important in the way TNO employees interact with each other. You can always go to your colleagues for feedback, and they will support you in planning your personal development. Having the freedom to follow your own path has two benefits. Firstly, employees enjoy doing work that they’re good at. Secondly, because each individual enjoys something different, TNO has a huge amount of in-house diversity and expertise."
What we expect from you
You possess the qualities that make a good TNO researcher and combine them with a pragmatic approach. You are curious, analytically strong, creative and brimming with innovative ideas. As a junior scientist, you will often work as a member of a project team and be coached properly, but you will soon also get a great deal of responsibility. Therefore, it is important that you are a self-starter but ask for help when you need it.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master's degree or PhD in, for example, one of the following subjects: marine engineering, mechanical engineering, architecture, civil engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, data science, computer science, information science, artificial intelligence, mathematics, econometrics.
- Or a university master's degree in another technical subject, provided you are willing to develop your knowledge of the above subjects.
- Some years of relevant work experience is fine, but we also have several great positions for graduates.
- Good communication skills in Dutch and English (at least B2 level).
- Interested in the construction, infrastructure, engineering, logistics, automotive or maritime sectors (Sectors | TNO).
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2.770,- and € 3.800,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
We are looking for several professionals at short notice. After your response, we will see at which department(s), within the Mobility and Built Environment unit, your experience would be best suited. Do you have a preference? Feel free to mention this in your application.
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
There is an option you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.