Underwater Acoustics Scientist | The Hague
Contribute to measure sound, model sound and predict how it propagates through solids, water and air. do you envision? Become Underwater Acoustics Scientist TNO in The Hague.
About this position
We are looking for a devoted new colleague to further expand TNO’s Acoustics & Sonar (A&S) department. Acoustics & Sonar is the department where all of TNO’s acoustic expertise comes together. The group consists of approximately 85 people, including the people from the electro-mechanical workshop. The work atmosphere is casual and informal, we feel the drive to deliver world-class work but manage to maintain a casual and informal atmosphere. The A&S department covers a wide range of topics, from sonar applications and noise control to ultrasonic systems. We measure sound, model sound and predict how it propagates through solids, water and air. We use sound to our advantage for finding objects, such as submarines, sea mines, intruders, underwater infrastructure, sea life, etc. Sometimes sound can be a nuisance and have adverse effects if it is perceived as too loud. In these cases we know how to reduce the sound levels and to design measures to reduce the detectability of military naval platforms and decrease the adverse effects for platforms, humans and sea mammals. For industrial applications – primarily in the aviation, semiconductor, and medical industry - we are developing innovative ultrasonic sensors and instrumentation for integrity monitoring and composition analysis. As underwater acoustics scientist you will typically be active in multiple applied research and development (R&D) projects to develop solutions for our various customers. You will use your knowledge and experience to help meet our customer’s needs. Projects vary in size and nature, from researching the potential of a theoretical concept to building equipment that works in the field, and from small projects running several weeks to large international consortium projects running over the course of multiple years. Each project has its own team, and no two projects are the same, so expect lots of opportunities to further develop yourself.
What will be your role?
The A&S underwater acoustics domain is primarily focused on defense applications such as anti-submarine warfare, mine counter measures and torpedo defense. We contribute to the safety of the Netherlands armed forces, in particular the Royal Netherlands Navy.
The main underwater sensing and imaging technology is sonar. Sonar is a very complex technology which requires understanding of a broad range of topics such as
- Acoustic signal generation and acoustic sources and arrays,
- Modelling of the acoustic signal as it travels underwater and interacts e.g. with surface waves, bottom topography and different thermal layers,
- Interaction between the acoustic signal and objects, and the resulting echoes,
- And the interpretation of received echoes to detect, track and classify objects.
The use of artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned systems are of increasing importance, and consequently underwater autonomous operation, collaboration between various autonomous platforms, and underwater communications are important research areas.
For our projects we require a broad range of (technical) skills such as defining research and experimental activities, modelling physical phenomena, developing custom simulation tooling, simulating complex use cases and scenarios, developing novel sonar and other systems, carrying out experimental measurements, developing software products, and reporting results. Team members frequently interact with our customers and are actively involved in field measurements. If you feel that you can help us make progress in these areas and are looking for a job that is meaningful to society, offers lots of variation, and will challenge you as a scientist, you’ve found your match!
"I am delighted that my work is contributing to the development of new technologies which can lead to further progress. It’s so exciting to be involved from the very first stage, which consists of a purely scientific idea, and to help this develop into an application that will benefit the society of tomorrow.”
What we expect from you
Besides being passionate for the work we carry out, you recognize yourself in the following profile:
- You have a MSc or PhD in a technical field that is relevant for underwater acoustics, such as physics, mathematics, geophysics, electrical engineering, computer science, astrophysics, robotics.
- You preferably have experience with setting up experiments and design of measurement setups.
- You have hands-on experience with software development for instance for signal processing, image interpretation, modelling and simulation purposes, for example in Matlab, Python, C++.
- You are a creative problem solver, result oriented, and have a clear and convincing communication style, and take initiatives.
- You have a clear affinity for applied R&D and our work in defence, security and safety.
- You have a keen eye for our customers’ interests and always look for new opportunities.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.200,- and € 3.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance [OPTIONAL] or a leased car.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 17th of December, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
“My favourite candidates are the ones who ask the most interesting questions”. As an experienced corporate recruiter, Heleen Stork does most of the asking during a job interview. But when a candidate asks the right questions to her, Heleen knows she’s caught a good one.