Senior Scientist Hydrogen
Working on technological breakthroughs for upscaling electrolysis in Europe's largest hydrogen research facility. Can you envision it? Become a Senior Scientist Hydrogen at TNO in Petten.
What will be your role?
Renewable hydrogen plays an important role in all energy transition scenarios and is critical in decarbonising hard-to-abate sectors. Electrolysis is the technology used to produce renewable hydrogen and sustainable chemicals, and is therefore a key enabling technology. Together with international top players from industry and academia, we accelerate innovation and implementation of water electrolysis and power-2-x. Research in which TNO is at the forefront. Are you coming to pioneer, experiment and innovate with us in our Faraday laboratory?
What will be your role:
As lead scientist you are an authority in the field of Hydrogen, a figurehead to the outside world. You will have a strong voice in setting and driving strategic roadmapping and will determine scientific priorities for our ambitious research program.
Based on that you are part of and expand a high quality network of research partners, universities, knowledge centers and industry partners. You have a demonstrated and strong scientific understanding of Hydrogen including merits and challenges. As part of our multi-disciplinary team you develop new and improved technologies and methodologies to drive Hydrogen to a stage that it can fulfill the outlook of an enormous growth in implemented capacity. Together you will develop high level proposals for national and international programs. You will work closely together with program and market development managers from different research groups within TNO and you are an active member in a group of peers.
What we expect from you
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Material Sciences, Chemistry, Applied Physics or equivalent.
- A proven track record in Hydrogen based on a minimum of 7 years relevant working experience.
- A proven scientific track record through publications in relevant journals.
- External focus and a strong active network in academia and industry. You can use your extended network to form consortia for new projects and develop new leads.
- You have a pioneering mentality, and the ability to connect technology with market and socially driven challenges to develop and drive an ambitious vision that cuts across disciplines. With good verbal and digital communication skills, energy, creativity and a boundless curiosity, you will be able to convince and inspire colleagues, partners and clients.
- You are able to coach, support and guide junior and medior scientists in projects and contribute to their professional development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of the Dutch language or willing to learn Dutch at the highest NT2 level.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 5.365,- and € 7.163,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 20th of February 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.