Scientist biobased chemistry and catalysis | Delft
Contributing to the reduction of the carbon footprint. Envision it. Become scientist biobased chemistry and catalysis at TNO in Delft.
About this position
Within the department Sustainable Process and Energy Systems we work on the reduction of the carbon footprint of chemicals such as building blocks for plastics We do this together with other groups throughout TNO. The Biorizon team focuses on the development of sustainable processes for chemical building blocks and plastics. With an increasing work stock, we are looking for a scientist biobased chemistry and catalysis.
What will be your role?
As part of the Biorizon team, you will apply your knowledge and expertise on (heterogeneous) chemocatalysis to develop chemistry and technology that enables value chains from residual sugars, via furanic platform molecules, to bio-aromatic building blocks. You will take the lead on work package level and guide the other scientists and technicians in a hands-on fashion in their experimental work. You will do this in alignment with senior scientists and program managers. You will help define how the research and developments are approached and are responsible for its planning, execution, and reporting. You will be working at lab scale at TNO Delft and on pilot scale at the TNO Biorzion facilities in Bergen op Zoom.
What we expect from you
- MSc with 6 years of experience or a PhD in chemistry, both catalysis related
- hands-on experience with (heterogeneous) catalysis
- affinity for reactor design and chemical engineering
- experience in supervisory role of technicians
- experience in technical project management (scientific lead)
- be able to have a structured approach to your work, and show a great deal of autonomy in your work.
- be acutely aware of safety considerations regarding working with chemicals and reactors.
- have a flexible approach to working days/hours/locations (Delft and Bergen op Zoom).
- be comfortable communicating and reporting in English.
- capable of multi-tasking
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 24th of March, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 4th of April, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter
“Technology – to me it’s something magical!”. For recruiter Anne-Maartje den Uijl, TNO is a fantastic place to work. Hectic. A tad idealistic. Full of wonderful ideas and technologies. And with inspiring colleagues to work with.
Telefoon:+31 6 46 96 60 67
LinkedIn:Anne-Maartje on LinkedIn
Bastian de BesFunctie:Hiring manager
Standplaats:Delft - Leeghwaterstraat
LinkedIn:Bastian on LinkedIn