Heat Pump Application Center Consultant
Contributing to energy-neutral and sustainable buildings. Working in a team of dedicated specialists. Envision making a contribution to this dynamic field and the teams active there. Become a Consultant at the Heat Pump Application Center at TNO in Delft.
About this position
You’re the contact person for research on heat pumps and other sustainable installations, and you’re knowledgeable about installations in homes. You’ll work on a variety of projects with one thing in common: they all contribute directly or indirectly to a successful energy transition in the built environment.
What will be your role?
As a Consultant at the Heat Pump Application Center, you’ll be the internal and external contact person for the Sustainable Indoor Climate Systems team. You’ll interact daily with researchers inside and outside the team, working closely with business development. You know how to translate other people’s questions into research questions and projects. You’ll help develop solutions and concepts that make the built environment more sustainable.
Your focus will be on making existing homes gas-free and more efficient through the use of heat pumps. You’ll work on numerous topics, such as documenting the practical performance of heat pumps (including hybrid pumps); embedding heat pumps in smart grids to reduce grid congestion; heat buffering; and mapping noise emissions under realistic conditions.
In this context, it’s becoming increasingly important to view climate control as a whole system. Only by aligning source, output, and control can the best results be achieved, without leading to comfort complaints. In addition, there are ongoing programmes for scaling up the installation capacity of heat pumps in existing buildings in close collaboration with major Dutch installation companies.
We’re looking for a consultant who can easily engage with external stakeholders such as manufacturers, installers, and policymakers. Someone who enjoys bringing together internal experts, thereby playing a formative role in the progress of a project. In doing so, you’re able to monitor coherence between projects, independently and with a clear understanding of the content. It’s important that you have a good grasp of the subject matter and can link it to the needs of stakeholders in the sector.
What we expect from you
- You have a university Master’s degree, for example in mechanical engineering, building physics, applied physics, or similar. You also have a good understanding of thermodynamics.
- You have an affinity for and an interest in sustainable buildings and reliable energy provision to the built environment (at home, neighbourhood, or national level).
- You feel at ease with stakeholders in the area of heat pumps and can question them on substantive issues.
- You’re good at explaining research and research findings at many different levels, from policymakers to engineers.
- You’re a problem solver, inquisitive, and you like to take the initiative.
- Since the team you’ll be working in is international in nature, you need to have a good command of spoken and written English and Dutch (at least B1 level).
- You’re able to understand physical models and analyse data using, for example, Matlab/Simulink and/or Python.
- You’d enjoy coming to Delft several days a week to work in the lab or office.
Experience and knowledge of heat pumps, installation technology, and/or metering technology are very useful.
Our projects are commissioned by manufacturers, public authorities, installation companies, industry associations, Energy Innovation NL, and the European Commission, among others. In addition to our own broad knowledge base, our expertise in innovation processes and our laboratory, we draw on the know-how of our colleagues in other TNO departments.
The team is part of the Buildings & Energy Systems department. Together with 34 colleagues, you’ll work on the challenges of tomorrow within the energy transition of the built environment. Our common cause is to make an impact and accelerate the transition. The department offers you a varied work package consisting of multiple projects for a wide range of clients. The scope of the projects ranges from experimental research on new technology or new applications, performing simulation and feasibility studies, conducting and analysing measurement campaigns, right through to the actual building of prototypes (and even end products) together with industrial partners.
Your activities are therefore highly diverse, making every day different. You’ll do all this in a close-knit team in an open and informal culture in which your affinities and qualities are considered. A lot of your work will take place in our HVAC laboratory. The lab has large climate chambers, a setup for water conditioning, extensive instrumentation, and sensors. The work of the team you’ll join is increasingly focusing on solutions relevant to the energy transition.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.156,- and € 6.405,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel[OPTIONAL] or a leased car.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 10th of April, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 17th or 20th of April, 2023. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 24th of April, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Telefoon:+31 6 11 32 00 80
LinkedIn:Frank on LinkedIn
Regien KroezeFunctie:Hiring manager
Standplaats:Delft - Molengraaffsingel (NEXT)