Scientist in energy system modelling | Delft
Want to become a Time Setter? Come work as Scientist in energy system modelling at TNO in Delft and make your mark on our time
About this position
The energy transition will proceed at an even faster pace in the next years. This will require a transformation of the current energy infrastructure and faster deployment of novel and sustainable energy assets such as electrolyzers, green industrial plants, flow batteries, etc.. The intermittent nature of renewable sources imposes a higher flexibility to these energy systems, and a good understanding of the dynamic processes of each energy component is necessary to identify future-proof solutions. By using numerical modelling, you will contribute to the design of an efficient, reliable, and affordable integrated energy systems. Would you like to help us solve these challenges for current and future sustainable energy systems?
What will be your role?
As a scientist, you will work on fluid dynamics and electrochemistry-related projects in the energy sector, with a focus on modelling energy systems containing energy production, conversion, storage, and transport components. For these purposes, you will develop and apply numerical models both at the component level and for system integration studies. You will model large-scale energy assets from flow and thermal perspectives and will carry out operational control and design optimization with the use of physics-based (and/or data-driven) models. You will have close contact with public and private clients to develop novel, greener pathways and system integration concepts for decarbonization. Your work will be strongly linked to the ambition of TNO to contribute to the energy transition in the Netherlands and at European level.
For more information about the department Heat Transfer & Fluid Dynamics and our projects, look at our website: Expertise group Heat Transfer & Fluid Dynamics | TNO
What we expect from you
In your role as a scientist you can identify yourself with the following profile:
- You have a Master (MSc) degree or PhD in preferably: Chemical Engineering, (Applied) Physics, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or comparable technical curricula.
- During your studies or previous professional experience, you have gained experience on fluid dynamics and/or multi-physics (electro)chemical processes.
- You have a strong background in numerical modelling. Experience with software development in Python is required. Knowledge of any fluid dynamics / multi-physics / process simulation software (e.g. COMSOL, Ansys Fluent, OpenFOAM, Aspen HYSYS) is a plus.
- The projects you work on will contain multiple disciplines that require a broad knowledge base and good communication skills with other experts around you. You identify yourself as a team player and enjoy working in multi-disciplinary teams.
What you'll get in return
Besides offering a full time position (32-40 hours per week), TNO understands that every employee has different needs. TNO offers flexible terms of employment “a-la-carte”, in which you can exchange various terms of employment against each other on a monthly basis. With flexible working hours (e.g. 4x9 hours) and different leave arrangements you can create a package that serves your needs. TNO believes in the importance of both your personal and professional development. There are many possibilities to shape your own development: Conferences, educations, workshops, intervision and mentoring. At TNO you are in the lead of your own career.
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3,124 and € 5,500 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before 11 April 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Telefoon:+31 6 41 37 40 15
LinkedIn:Anouk on LinkedIn
Erik NennieFunctie:Hiring manager
Standplaats:Delft - Leeghwaterstraat
LinkedIn:Erik on LinkedIn