Software developer Defence, Safety and Security | The Hague
Contributing to a safe world and leaving your mark on ground-breaking innovations. Envision it. Become a Scientist at TNO in The Hague.
About this position
In one of the Netherlands' most innovative R&D environments, you’ll be working on new concepts and technologies that contribute to peace and security worldwide. You’ll be the bridge between Research and Development together with top researchers in various technical fields. Want to contribute to innovations in the defence and security domain? It’s possible in the Defence, Safety & Security (DSS) unit!
What will be your role?
As a software developer, you’ll contribute to research projects for clients in the defence and security domain, in particular. You’ll do so as a member of one of the 15 research groups of the DSS unit, working with colleagues in multidisciplinary project teams. You’ll usually work on four to five projects at the same time. As part of the project team, you’ll be the driving force behind the development of new software – from its initial idea to its testing, documentation, and ultimate implementation. Since the software being developed is the result of ground-breaking research, its development is an iterative, rather than a fixed, process. During this process, you’ll listen carefully to the requirements, wishes, and feedback of all stakeholders – colleagues, clients, and partners.
The specific projects you’ll work on will be discussed with you, based on your knowledge and ambitions. In any case, there are plenty of options. Are you interested in robotics, AR and VR, AI, or sensor and radar technology or would you like to devise algorithms to understand complex military operations? It’s all possible.
What we expect from you
As a software developer in the Defence, Safety & Security unit, you’re a real team player with experience of working in project groups. You work in a structured way so that the code you write can be easily understood by others, and you keep your documentation in order. This ensures that the software you develop is maintainable and usable by our partners and customers.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
• A higher professional (HBO) or university master's degree or PhD in, for example, one of the following fields: data science, computer science, artificial intelligence or mathematics.
• Experience with C++, Java or Python and their application in complex systems and algorithms.
• Experience with larger code bases (legacy code).
• Experience with software design concepts (Object-Oriented Development, Test-Driven Development).
• Good oral and written communication skills in English and preferably also in Dutch.
• Experience with or an interest in the defence and security domain.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.300,- and € 3.900,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Bouchra Al LamaakchaouiFunctie:Recruiter