Scientist Heat Pump Application Center | Delft
Want to make your mark on our time? Come work at TNO in Delft as a scientist innovator at the Heat Pump Application Centre.
About this position
Working in a team of dedicated specialists on energy-neutral and sustainable buildings. Can you see yourself contributing to this dynamic playing field and team? You will make an important contribution to research in the field of heat pumps and other sustainable installations. The projects you work on are diverse, but have one thing in common: they all contribute directly or indirectly to a successful energy transition in the built environment
What will be your role?
As a scientist at the Heat Pump Application Centre, you’ll collaborate on the development of solutions and concepts to make the built environment more sustainable. Your focus will be on making existing homes gas-free and more efficient through the use of heat pumps. With this focus, you’ll work on a range of topics. Examples include mapping the practical performance of (hybrid) heat pumps, combining heat pumps with PVT panels, smart (model-controlled) controls, embedding heat pumps in smart grids to reduce grid congestion, efficient hot tap water production, heat buffering, and noise emissions under realistic conditions.
In this context, it’s becoming increasingly important to view climate control as a whole system. Only by aligning source, output, and control can the best results be achieved, without leading to comfort complaints. We’re looking for a researcher who enjoys making knowledge applicable in projects, alternating between desk and lab work.
What we expect from you
You enjoy transforming complex technical challenges in this area into broadly supported innovations with tremendous future potential. Of course, doing so is only possible by working together. You regularly leave your workplace to interact with your colleagues and spar about your ideas with content experts. In this way, you continuously broaden your network and knowledge base. Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO?
- You enjoy transforming complex technical challenges in this area into broadly supported innovations with tremendous future potential. Of course, doing so is only possible by working together. You regularly leave your workplace to interact with your colleagues and spar about your ideas with content experts. In this way, you continuously broaden your network and knowledge base. Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- You have a university master’s degree, in an area such as mechanical engineering, building physics, engineering physics, or similar. You also have a good understanding of thermodynamics.
- You have an affinity for and an interest in sustainable buildings and reliable energy provision to the built environment (at home, neighbourhood, or national level).
- During your studies, at your work, or in your free time, you enjoy putting technology into practice, for example, with electronics, by working on test setups in the lab, or collecting and interpreting data.
- You’re creative with technology and dare to challenge existing methods.
- You’re a curious problem solver who likes to take initiative.
- Since the team you’ll be working in is international in nature, you need to be fluent in spoken and written English. You also possess an excellent command of the Dutch language. (Both Dutch and English need to be at least at a B1 level.)
- You’re able to model and analyse data using, for example, Matlab/Simulink and/or Python.
- You’d enjoy coming to Delft several days a week to work in the lab or office.
- Experience and knowledge of heat pumps, installation technology, and/or metering technology is an advantage.
Our projects are commissioned by manufacturers, public authorities, installation companies, industry associations, Energy Innovation NL, and the European Commission, amongst others. In addition to our own broad knowledge base, our expertise in innovation processes and our laboratory, we draw on the know-how of our colleagues in other TNO departments.
The department offers you a varied work package consisting of multiple projects for a wide range of clients. The scope of the projects ranges from experimental research on new technology or new applications, performing simulation and feasibility studies, conducting and analysing measurement campaigns, right through to the actual building of prototypes (and even end products) together with industrial partners.
Your activities are highly diverse, making every day different. You’ll do all this in a close-knit team in an open and informal culture in which your affinities and qualities are considered. A lot of your work will take place in our HVAC laboratory. The lab has large climate chambers, a setup for water conditioning, extensive instrumentation, and sensors. The work of the team you’ll join is increasingly focusing on solutions relevant to the energy transition.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.124,- and € 5.522,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you want to grow into a commercial or consultancy position. Or do you want to become a project manager, learn more about sustainable innovations or make a career as a technical expert.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 5th of June, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 12th of June, 2023. The second interview round will take place at June 13,14,15 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Telefoon:+31 6 11 32 00 80
LinkedIn:Frank on LinkedIn
Regien KroezeFunctie:Hiring manager
Standplaats:Delft - Molengraaffsingel (NEXT)