Scientist Powertrains - Batteries | Helmond
This is your time to make a mark on tomorrow’s mobility. Become Scientist Powertrains - Batteries Management at TNO in Helmond.
About this position
Do you want to make a difference in the energy transition? This role offers the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the acceleration of the energy transition for the automotive, maritime and off-road sector. The TNO powertrains department, located on the Automotive Campus in Helmond, works on innovative powertrains that enable high CO2 reduction even for the most challenging and hard-to-abate applications. One of the innovative technologies that we are working on in the powertrains department is batteries. Through significant expertise in battery pack concepts, powertrains with zero environmental impact are realized together with partners from leading NL, European and global industry.
What will be your role?
You’ll be working in multiple project teams with leading automotive partners from industry. Your work involves experimental data processing and analysis, modelling of engine and aftertreatment components and processes as base for engine control and diagnostics concepts enabling engine performance and robustness optimization. The projects range from (international ) B2B customers to (European) research projects that further strengthen our knowledge base, hence occasional travel to our partners will be required.
All your colleagues are, as yourself, driven to develop innovative yet pragmatic solutions to decarbonize road and waterborne transport.
About TNO Powertrains Department
TNO is all about making a difference; on one side, seeking innovative and unique solutions from the research field, and on the other, understanding and applying those solutions to real-world problems. We are successful in our mission to help our partners and customers accelerate towards achieving zero emission goals, and to be a driving force in the transition towards a sustainable future.
World-class, state-of-the-art research facilities in our Powertrains Test Center are used for experimental developments spanning a wide scope from more fundamental combustion research on single-cylinder engine platforms to proof-of-concept engine demonstrations, functional engine (-controls) verification and validation testing on full-scale engine platforms, and in our unique climatic altitude chamber. These experimental facilities are combined with latest (in-house developed) numerical tools for combustion and engine concept development, and engine and aftertreatment controls and diagnostics.
At TNO in Helmond we offer you a friendly, open and highly professional atmosphere. Ours is also a supportive environment, where we stimulate knowledge sharing and welcome your ideas!
Join our mission to research, innovate and apply, to build a sustainable tomorrow, today.
What we expect from you
You are an experienced engineer / scientist with significant technical knowledge of heavy duty powertrains to strengthen our international team of experts. You know the recent trends and developments in the field and are strong in translating client needs through project boundary conditions into working systems and solutions.
You thrive on developing pragmatic solutions based on experimental research, in which you put your analytic, modelling, simulation and system identification competencies to good use. Alternating between projects comes natural to you, as does interacting with partners and clients. Through experience you’ve built professional communication skills and cultural awareness to help you navigate sensitivities and motivate teams to obtain tangible results.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A Master’s Degree or PhD in Electrical/Chemical or Automotive Engineering or another relevant field.
- Expertise in powertrains, Heavy Duty is a plus. Deep knowledge of hybrid drivetrains, electric components and batteries is required, an affinity with other powertrain technologies such as ICE and FC is recommended.
- Experience with physics-based battery modelling and preferably of integrated control algorithms for batteries.
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink. If you haven’t yet gained experience of simulation tools typically used in the automotive industry, or with embedded software development, you are eager to learn.
- Excellent command of English, as you will be working in international teams.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.200,- and € 5.300,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 8th of June, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The first interview round is scheduled for the 22nd and 29th of May, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
‘You can achieve a lot at TNO if you take your chances’. Recruiter Brahim Dagdaoui has an eye for talent. It’s his job to make sure scientists find a place at TNO where they can blossom and work on groundbreaking innovations. He works for the units High Tech Industry and Mobility & Built Environment, where cool things are happening.
LinkedIn:Brahim on LinkedIn
Mark SliphorstFunctie:Hiring manager