Scientist in technical building regulations
Now is the time for working towards sustainable construction in a circular society. Do you want to become a time setter too? Become a Technical Building Regulations Scientist at TNO in Delft.
About this position
Making construction more sustainable in pursuit of a circular society requires renewal of technical building regulations. At TNO, we’re closely involved in the realisation of this within the Mobility & Built Environment unit. That's why we’re looking for a new colleague to join our team. Are you an enthusiastic scientist who wants to work on projects with diverse challenges within this extraordinary field? Then read on quickly.
What will be your role?
In the position of Technical Building Regulations Scientist, you’ll focus on issues in which regulations and standardisation play an important role. In this way, you’ll support the market players and government bodies that are active in construction and infrastructure. You’ll do this together with the senior scientist for technical building regulations and a large number of other subject matter experts from TNO. Thanks to your knowledge and experience, you’ll come up with new scientific insights and produce practically applicable advice for market players. You’ll also develop into a national and international authority in this special field.
You’ll be working with others in a multidisciplinary team. Specifically, you’ll be working in the Building Materials & Structures department with over 50 other colleagues. This department falls within the Mobility & Built Environment (MBE) unit where around 450 driven experts work on construction and infrastructure. We have backgrounds in structural engineering, civil engineering, materials science, physics, chemistry, and digitalisation. We work on societal issues in the areas of safety, health, and sustainability. Our knowledge base covers the entire lifecycle of a building. From initial plans, to design, construction, and use of the building and its eventual demolition. This can enable parts of a building to become a valuable source for reuse.
Technical building regulations and the underlying standards form an important basis for many of our activities. We’re therefore represented on various committees and platforms. We believe it’s very important to broaden and deepen the current knowledge base in the Netherlands and for it to be safeguarded by the next generation. This requires you to have an approach and attitude that emphasise curiosity, listening, asking questions, and engaging in debate. You connect these visions with your own insights and work with others to develop new ideas, innovations, projects, and partnerships.
What we expect from you
You’re open-minded and therefore easily find your way off the beaten track. You feel comfortable within a team that’s both multidisciplinary and multinational. You’re also enthusiastic, eager to learn, persuasive, and able to act confidently towards the outside world.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university master’s degree in architecture, construction engineering or similar.
- Several years of relevant work experience in construction or infrastructure in which you’ve developed (or would like to develop) yourself as an expert in one of the technical fields within construction and infrastructure, preferably in the field of fire safety.
- A strong drive to engage with the political and legal context of building regulations in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Demonstrable competences in carrying out scientific work, such as publishing and a relevant network.
- A good verbal and written command of Dutch and English (both at least B2 level).
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.156,- and € 6.400,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
"Safety is not something that can be taken for granted. That's why the work you do here, in any position, is meaningful and has an impact on society." For that exact reason, Jane Duinisveld works as a Corporate Recruiter at the TNO unit Defence, Safety and Security and hopes to find colleagues who are just as driven to contribute to peace and security.
Posted by: #LI-JD1 Jane Duinisveld
Email: [email protected]