Environmental research technician
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a research technician at TNO in Utrecht!
About this position
A rewarding task awaits you. As an engineer (e.g., electrical engineer), you’ll use measuring and sampling equipment to monitor the concentrations of various gases and particles in the air. These measurements form the basis of our recommendations on air quality.
What will be your role?
You’ll be doing important practical research by taking measurements at unique locations around the Netherlands. How would you like to set up a measurement network around a major city or industrial area, or measure nitrogen levels on farms or emissions from shipping? You’ll collaborate in the project team by developing, building, installing, and operating measuring and sampling equipment in the field of environmental research.
In any given week, you’ll have a variety of tasks – adjusting a measurement setup, analysing powders on filters, or driving around in a mobile unit with various types of measurement equipment. Ensuring that equipment functions properly and creative trouble-shooting are crucial to these activities.
The measurement data you provide are essential in environmental studies for industry and government bodies, so your work will contribute to creating a healthier society.
What we expect from you
You’re interested in the operation and control of measuring instruments, and you have the technical proficiency to make the necessary adjustments to them. You’re adventurous, technical, and extremely creative in coming up with solutions.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- Higher Professional (HBO) degree in measurement technology, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a similar discipline
- Some experience in research or as an engineer
- Experience with programming is an advantage, e.g., in Delphi, C#, or Python, to control measuring equipment
- Basic VCA (Safety, Health, and Environment Checklist for Contractors) certificate. If you don’t yet have this certificate, you can obtain it through TNO
- A BE driving licence or the motivation to obtain one
- A good command of the Dutch language is essential.
- A good work ethic; flexible and willing to get down to work at a variety of locations
- Structured and client-focused
- Eager to learn and open to coaching by a senior staff member
- Able to work independently as well as collaborate in small teams
- Communicating proactively about work and acting responsibly in the event of incidents or difficulties.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.000,- and € 3.800,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter