Experienced scientist electrochemical engineering | Delft
Making your mark on our times? Come work at TNO as a scientist in Delft!
What will be your role?
The energy sector and the (chemical) industry are in a transition towards a sustainable sector through the use of new feedstock and renewable energy, process and energy efficiency, carbon circularity and carbon capture and re-use. The group Sustainable Process & Energy Systems works on these transitional topics, together with industry, academia and government, aiming to accelerate the development and implementation of new technologies.
Our core technical expertise are Gas-Treatment and -Conversion, Separation technologies, Bio-based Building Block synthesis, (Electro)chemistry and Energy Conversion & Storage. We work for- and with (renewable) energy and chemistry companies and in a network of international knowledge partners.
Some typical projects/programs we are working on:
- Electrification of the industry: www.voltachem.com .
- Power-2-Chemicals – direct electrosynthesis of chemical building blocks: https://www.voltachem.com/research/power-2-chemicals .
- Biomass as a feedstock to produce sustainable chemicals by electro organic synthesis, for example the PERFORM project https://performproject.eu/ .
- Carbon capture and carbon (re)use technology development and piloting: https://www.tno.nl/en/sustainable/co2-neutral-industry/industrial-carbon-capture/capturing-carbon-emissions-industry/ .
- Biomass valorization; biogas as a fuel and feedstock, biomass conversion to aromatics: www.biorizon.eu .
For our work on electrification / Power-2-Chemicals in the VoltaChem team we are looking for an expert in the field of electrochemical engineering, with a background in organic electrosynthesis. The type of work you will be doing is:
- Scale-up of electrochemical processes for the production of fine & bulk chemicals.
- Electrochemical reactor design and modelling.
- Reactor testing: various reactor concepts, electrodes and materials.
- Stack design and development.
- Support in buildup of demonstration setups and lab-scale electrolysis testing.
- Process design and optimization.
- Collaboration with academia and writing of (scientific) publications.
- Contribute to the development of new projects for clients and in international consortia.
What we expect from you
The position is best suited to an enthusiastic individual with the following characteristics:
- A drive to develop innovative solutions to technically challenging problems by combining the right mix of intellectual curiosity and a pragmatic approach. You have a hands-on mentality and enjoy working in a lab.
- You enjoy working for and with (internal and external) customers. You are able to quickly grasp the needs of customers and external stakeholders and proactively come up with plans to improve their technologies and processes.
- You understand the context of the (chemical) industry, the transition it needs to go through to become sustainable and the role that electrochemical technology will play in that transition.
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- You have a PhD in electrochemistry, with experience in organic chemistry, process technology, chemical engineering, physics or mechanical engineering.
- You have at least 5 years of practical experience in electrochemistry, voltammetry, preparative electrolysis after your PhD.
- You understand the challenges of developing technology that needs to be scaled up from low to high Technology Readiness Level (TRL) in a complex industrial environment.
- You understand that ensuring high quality standards is important for the role and that good reporting skills are part of this.
- You have a good command of the English language, both verbal and written.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4500,- and € 5800,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel[OPTIONAL] or a leased car.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter