Operational lead for experimental laboratory | Rijswijk
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a labmanager at TNO in Rijswijk!
About this position
The Rijswijk Centre for Sustainable Geo-energy (RCSG) focuses on the development of technical innovations for the drilling, construction, re-use and decommissioning of wells within the framework of energy transition topics. As the laboratory operational lead, you will support and enable research on well drilling, construction and design issues, e.g. for well integrity evaluations for geothermal energy and storage of CO2 and hydrogen, and in a broader sense for subsurface technologies for different energy systems. You will work in a multi-disciplinary team of professionals (e.g. experimental engineers, geoscientists, geomechanical engineers) with a joint accountability on the execution of the experiments, while taking individual responsibility of the entrusted tasks. Although responsible for internal processes, you will have many opportunities to work together with clients on developing innovative solutions for complex problems faced by the energy industry, where there is room for your contributions and ideas. Our clients are internationally oriented thus giving you the opportunity to work with and within different cultures.
What will be your role?
- Facilitate and ensure that all operations are executed with the needed level of safety and quality, taking the team (3-6 persons) capacity and availability into account. Through your hands-on approach you can guide and support the technical team that will execute the experiments.
- Plan daily operations in coordination with the team lead and project managers, including management of change of the tests execution.
- •Keep the laboratory premises and equipment in good shape by planning the necessary maintenance according to requirements and standards.
- Keep necessary lab documentation (e.g. lab material inventory, chemical registry) up to date.
- Optimize lab operational management (introduce and maintain people and equipment scheduling tools, improve lab costs charging system, organize and chair lab operational meetings).
- Establish and maintain contact with contractors, suppliers regarding planning, quality and value of the necessary supplies.
- Coordinate involvement with TNO facility management.
- Safeguard Occupational Health and Safety, the Environment and Licenses within the laboratory (as TNO Prevention Officer). You will be actively involved in writing and checking RIE, LTO, work permits etc.
- Collaborate with other TNO lab managers, location manager and security officer for the general management of the Rijswijk – Kessler Park 1D location.
- Advice and support team members with laboratory issues.
- Communicate with both internal and external suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Report to team lead and research manager.
What we expect from you
You are able to work with researchers to understand their domain-specific requirements. You have experience working with high pressure – high temperature equipment (pumps, pipelines, pressure vessels), preferably in a laboratory setting, and have affinity with electrical systems. A hands-on trouble shooting attitude is conditional.
Qualifications and Qualities:
- HBO-master/MSc in mechanical engineering or similar.
- Proven track record in planning and management of a technical team.
- 10 year+ experience in a (mechanical) laboratory environment.
- Risk management and safety qualifications.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Dutch and English.
- Team player.
- Experience with process engineering flow schemes and design drawings is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience of subsurface technology (drilling/construction, maintenance and abandonment of wells, etc.) are a plus.
- Experience with energy transition topics like CCS, geothermal energy and energy storage is preferred.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.500,- and € 5.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 30th of August, 2023. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 1st of September, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter