Medior researcher Biorefinery | Petten
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a researcher at TNO in Petten!
About this position
Do you have a passion for technology and want to contribute to the energy and materials transition? In the Biobased and Circular Technologies group at TNO, we develop technical innovations and processes that use sustainable bio-based feedstocks (including wastes) to produce energy, materials and chemicals. As a laboratory research assistant, your role is to conduct and support experiments with advanced equipment for the upgrading, fractionation and thermochemical conversion of various biomass streams. Join us and be part of helping to reach ambitious climate targets and the transition away from fossil-based energy and materials!
What will be your role?
As laboratory research assistant, you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals (e.g., chemical engineers, process engineers, chemists, etc.) on the execution of experiments. You’ll do hands-on and practical work developing, operating and maintaining innovative laboratory equipment and installations. On any given day you could be making jet fuel hydrocarbons from biomass-derived chemicals, hydrothermally converting agro-food waste into solid fuel, or working with scientists to develop a new apparatus to extract valuable molecules from seaweed.
- Conducting and advising on experiments;
- Processing and reporting data/results;
- Operating specific laboratory equipment and installations including autoclaves, distillation apparatus, extrusion equipment, CSTR, plug flow reactors, extraction equipment and others;
- Preparation of installation files and performing HAZOPs and MOC (management of change) procedures for complex equipment, as needed;
- Developing new, non-standard installations for specific projects and experiments;
- Adapting existing installations to fit experimental requirements;
- Problem solving and troubleshooting equipment issues.
What we expect from you
You have an affinity for technical and hands-on work and you like the challenge of trouble-shooting and creatively solving problems. You are passionate about ongoing learning and learning-in-practice. Most (4) days during the week you will be on location in Petten but can work from home if/when work tasks allow. You enjoy working in a team and you are very interested in energy and materials transition topics. You have the ability to communicate proactively and transparently about work and act appropriately in the event of incidents or challenges.
Other skills and knowledge you bring to TNO:
- HBO (bachelor’s degree), preferably Hoger laboratoriumonderwijs/Higher Laboratory Education (HLO), chemistry;
- Commitment to safety and a safe work environment. This includes a VCA certificate (If you don’t have this certificate you can obtain it through TNO);
- Strong communication skills in English and Dutch;
- Hands-on experience with technical equipment, preferably in a laboratory environment such as with process technology or chemical technology;
- Knowledge of and experience with relevant technologies (thermochemical conversion, distillation, extrusion, etc.) is a plus.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.000,- and € 4.000,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 1st of October, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 11th of October, 2023. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 18th of October, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
“I may just have the most cheerful job in the world”. As a corporate recruiter at TNO, Lara Dimitrovski works mainly for the Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime (BI&M) unit. What does she pay attention to during an interview? Whether you are being yourself.
Posted by: #LI-LD1 Lara Dimitrovski
Email: [email protected]