Researcher Occupational Hygiene with focus on exposure assessment
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a Researcher Occupational Hygiene at TNO in Utrecht!
About this position
The Research group RAPID (Risk Analysis for Products In Development) specialises in multidisciplinary projects on the assessment of health risks due to potentially hazardous exposures from all environments and sources, including at work, in the general environment, as well as via intake of food or drugs. RAPID consists of around 50 members with expertise in numerous fields including toxicology, epidemiology, exposome, chemistry, occupational hygiene, and statistics. By combining risk analysis, statistical expertise, and practical experience in various fields of experimental research, RAPID develops innovative, science-based tools, models, and methods to predict potential risks accurately and efficiently. Ultimately, RAPID research focusses on reducing risks and improving human health. This is achieved by RAPID’s active involvement in endeavours such as advising on exposure reduction measures, applying safe- and sustainable-by-design principles for products and processes, as well as generating actionable knowledge for policymakers and other stakeholders. This is done together with universities, research institutes, government and industry partners.
What will be your role?
Within the RAPID department, the team ‘Exposure assessment and risk management’ works on the development of innovative methods to assess and manage the risk of exposure with the ultimate aim to prevent or limit the occurrence of occupational diseases. Examples of chemicals are nanomaterials, crystalline silica, welding fumes, biocides, pesticides, endotoxines and asbestos. Innovative methods are being developed, such as modelling tools for exposure and/or risk assessment (e.g. Advanced Reach Tool (ART)), novel exposure measurement techniques (sensors), biomonitoring (point of care testing), safe by design and substitution, risk management measures (Virtual Occupational Hygiene Assistant(VOHA)) and health impact assessment all applied within the context of the exposome.
As a Researcher Occupational Hygiene with focus on Exposure Assessment your core activities are:
- development of new methods by using new technologies to assess and manage the risk of exposure to chemicals;
- participate and coordinate in the collection of data in a responsible way at different workplaces and manage and keep up to date related databases;
- answer questions from customers and advising them to manage risks of exposure to chemicals;
- report on research for customers and publish in scientific media or within TNO;
- participation in (multidisciplinary) research projects;participation in scientific discussions with (international) experts from various fields;
- initiate and participate in writing project proposals.
What we expect from you
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive team-player with a broad scientific interest who is looking for complex challenges in the field of human exposure assessment & risk. To be able to communicate well with our clients, a good command of Dutch is required. Knowledge of occupational hygiene is required and some working experience is preferred (PhD is considered to be working experience). Your curiosity together with your surprising and innovative ideas and solutions make you a great innovator.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- an academic background, preferably in Occupational/Environmental Health Sciences, Industrial Hygiene, Life Science Technology (with a strong focus on occupational hygiene);
- knowledge regarding exposure assessment and modelling;
- interest in chemical exposures, related health risks and risk management;
- knowledge regarding basic statistical methods;
- good communicative skills both verbal and written are important;
- good command of Dutch (a must) and English;
- 32-40 hour a week availability.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.500,- and € 4.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 8th of October 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Carina de Jong-RubinghFunctie:Hiring manager