Internship | Kirigami Electronics
About this position
Holst Centre is an Open Innovation research center founded in 2005 by TNO and IMEC. It is located on the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Holst Centre develops applications in flexible electronics together with industry. The application of printed and flexible electronics is necessary in important fields like robotics and healthcare.
What will be your role?
Working in a small team, the student will be responsible for demonstrating the possibility of translating flat printed electronics into the 3D world using kirigami (the art of cutting paper) and origami (the art of folding paper).
The student will be responsible for creating electronic concepts that can take advantage of the new 3D structure realized using folding and cutting methods. Design, as well as hands-on fabrication and measurement of devices will be performed.
The goal of the project will be to:
- Conceive 3D structures, with a relevant function, that can be fabricated starting from flat plastic substrates;
- Develop processes to create those structures;
- Create designs for electronic structures that can be integrated and then formed into the desired structure, taking into account process limitations;
- Create the designs and characterize them in their flat and 3D form;
- Demonstrate the application of the concept.
This student project will be an internship and/or master thesis with a duration of at least 6 months.
What we expect from you
As a team member your tasks will be:
- Knowledge acquisition through literature survey, discussion with other team members, and internal seminars/colloquiums;
- Fabrication of devices in clean-rooms and chemical laboratories;
- Performing electrical and material characterization;
- Analysis and presentation of experimental data;
- Documentation of results in a technical report or scientific publication;
- Presentation of results in internal seminars/colloquiums.
What you'll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Students must reside in the Netherlands before the start and also throughout the internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.