Network Scientist - Innovative Defence Projects
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a Network Scientist at TNO in The Hague!
About this position
Are you a driven scientist with a passion for networks and defense technology? Join our team of researchers and collaborate on the high-tech defense networks of the future! As a Network Scientist in our Networks department, you will have the unique opportunity to combine your expertise with building new knowledge in a young and dynamic environment.
What will be your role?
Within our department, there's a state-of-the-art lab environment and testbed that's unparalleled in the Netherlands. Here, you'll have the chance to experiment enthusiastically and push the boundaries of possibilities. Some of our systems run in the cloud, while others consist of physical systems like military radios and an emulation environment that allows us to simulate realistic scenarios and military situations. We continuously stay updated with the latest developments in Defence and explore how we can approach and apply them in our projects.
As a Network Scientist, you'll collaborate with our team of like-minded researchers to develop complex and innovative additions to our lab environment. This will become a Proof of Concept (PoC) that will be implemented in the real world. You'll have the freedom to determine your own approach, using your expertise and that of your colleagues to program and test innovative solutions. In our inspiring Technical Project Room (TPR), you'll work closely together to realize these solutions. Additionally, you'll present and demonstrate the results both locally at Defence locations in the Netherlands and internationally.
Building new knowledge is central to our work. You will have the opportunity to delve into the latest technologies and research methods. Furthermore, we encourage knowledge exchange within the team and with international research partners.
What we expect from you
Collaboration is key for us. You actively participate in brainstorming sessions and make your voice heard. Long-term projects do not deter you; your perseverance is invaluable. You understand that this sometimes requires self-discipline as well. Additionally, you have the ability to inspire others, present well, and possess in-depth technical knowledge. Working on challenging issues and groundbreaking technologies energizes you.
What you also bring:
- A university master's or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, or a similar background.
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in languages such as Python, C++, or Java, and an insatiable curiosity for new technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of Linux and IPv4/v6 networks and routing protocols, and a strong interest in software-defined radio.
- Fluent English proficiency, as you will work extensively in international teams.
Within the defence projects of the Networks department, there are plenty of opportunities for (scientific) growth. Here, you have the chance to lead international initiatives and build profound expertise within your field.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary up to maximum € 6.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Access to TNO’s project managers guild: a network of some three hundred equals. The guild organizes workshops, conferences, intervision sessions and other activities for project managers.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 4th of March, 2024. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Annemieke KipsFunctie:Hiring manager
Posted by: #LI-YP1 Yvonne Pribnow
Email: [email protected]