TNO Trainee Programme, starting 1 February 2024
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a trainee at TNO!
About this position
As a trainee at TNO, you are a time setter. You make your mark on these times by working on innovations that help society move forward. You do this together with a team of experts well matched in their unlimited ambition and drive to make an impact on society. Together with them, you translate your knowledge into practice.
What will be your role?
At TNO, you work on projects with an impact on society, such as the safe encryption of money transactions using quantum mechanics, predicting the behaviour of fugitive criminals with AI, making the chemical industry sustainable and future proof, or doing your bit in testing innovative energy concepts.
These and many other projects await you at TNO. The TNO Trainee programme offers a perfect opportunity to find out what suits you best: both in terms of subject-matter and position.
The TNO traineeship enables you to explore what suits you best over a period of two years. The programme is structured in such a way that you will work in three different places – based on your preference. For example, you can start on the subject of digital security, then work as a project leader in a staff department and end your traineeship as an energy transition consultant. In short: you set up your own trainee programme based on your talents, ambitions, educational background and the trainee positions available. This will help you to get to know the organisation well, while at the same time you make a nice step forward in your career at TNO.
During the Trainee Programme, you will work five days a week, with a working week consisting of the following three components:
- Work within the department: you will work three and a half days a week on projects in one of the TNO departments. For example, in the role of project leader, business developer, consultant or researcher. We aim for every project to create an impact on society. Projects lead, for instance, to a prototype, a proof of concept, or to process recommendations for public authorities, companies or sectors. You will work on these projects together with experienced colleagues.
- Trainee activities: One day a week will be dedicated to your personal and professional development. During this day, you may attend a training course, workshop or take part in intervision. You will also be assigned a personal coach to help you reflect and develop. In addition, there is a dedicated Manager of the trainee programme who will challenge and support you throughout the trainee programme.
- Internal strategic projects: you will spend half a day per week working with fellow trainees on internal TNO-wide strategy projects. Together with senior management, you will tackle a challenging issue, enabling you to delve into the dynamics of our extensive organisation and get to know TNO in a broad sense.
During the trainee programme, you will gain a good insight into your talents and strengths, and will visualise your next step at TNO. You will then be ready to choose a role in which both you and TNO will benefit from your talents. The programme, which exists for 12 ½ years, aims to accelerate trainees' development towards a key position. Read here, for example how, following his Trainee programme, Mathieu now works as programme manager Energy & Sustainability at the Corporate Real Estate & Facilities department.
What we expect from you
Choosing your own path in a large organisation like TNO is a great opportunity that, at the same time, demands certain responsibilities from you. You are a socially committed person and you want to contribute to tomorrow's world by translating knowledge into practice. You want to make an impact on one of our four challenges: sustainability, safety, health and digital society. You are keen to try out different disciplines and different roles such as project leader, business developer or consultant, to find out what suits you best.
You are good at communicating and aim to connect with colleagues, including those outside your own field of expertise. You are also curious about different opinions and allow others the time and space to share their viewpoint.
You are entrepreneurial and proactive.
The Trainee programme is a ‘self-steering’ programme. This means the success of the programme largely depends on what you and your fellow trainees make of it.
Finally you are resilient and can adapt well to new situations. After all, you will be working for three different departments in two years.
Plus, you meet the following criteria:
- You graduated (with an MSc) no more than two years ago, counting from the starting date of the programme: 1 February 2024.
- You have a bachelor's degree from a university. Your degree is in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. In particular, we are looking for candidates with a background in: computer science, artificial intelligence, data analysis, (applied) physics, electrical engineering, aerospace, mechanical engineering and (applied) mathematics.
- You preferably have a master's degree that shows that you have broadened your knowledge, for example, a master's degree in Technical Business Administration, Innovation Management, Transition Management or Industrial Design. You are also welcome if you have a master's degree in a technical discipline, provided you can demonstrate that you indeed want to connect with other fields. (FAQs)
- You have undertaken extracurricular activities alongside your studies.
- You live in Europe.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary of € 3.340,- , holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A large organisation full of opportunities. TNO has 60 departments with top professional experts as colleagues.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives such as the Female Leadership Programme, our Rainbow Community, and roundtables on inclusion themes.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan (pdf) that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- 33 days' holiday and a good pension scheme.
- A programme including training courses, workshops, coaching, mentoring and intervision, targeted to your development and rapid growth.
- Access to the network and fun activities of Young TNO.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
As a trainee you will be part of the trainee group, which consists of approximately 28 trainees. This group acts as a sounding board, sparring partner and source of knowledge and experience, adding great value to your Trainee programme.
The selection process
The deadline for applying is 1st of October, 2023. Trainees selection day will be on Friday 27nd of October in The Hague. Our selection process consists of several steps. You will be informed no later than Monday 16th of October whether we would like to invite you to the selection day.
Interested in becoming a trainee? Then please apply using the application form. This involves uploading: your resume, your motivation letter, and a video in which you explain "what makes you tick". Explain clearly how you would like to work on one of our four challenges: Sustainable, Safe & Secure, Healthy or Digital Society.
About the video:
- Upload the video as an "additional document".
- Our applicant tracking systems support MP4, MOV, WMV, MPG and MPEG formats. Videos in other formats cannot be uploaded.
- The maximum size of the video file is 5 MB, which is a short video of about 30 seconds. There are various online tools available to compress your video if needed.
Useful to know: one of our biggest clients in the security domain is the Ministry of Defence. Would you object to working for the armed forces as a client? If so, please indicate this in your motivational letter.
For this internship vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance (VGB) after conducting a security screening. Take into account that this process may take about 8 weeks. If you have been abroad for more than 6 consecutive months, or if you do not have the Dutch nationality, it may take longer. Read more about security screening on the AIVD website.
Would you like to know more about the application procedure, the video, the criteria and the TNO Trainee programme in general? You can read all the answers in our FAQs.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you!
Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje den Uijl, +31 (0)6-46966067
Manager Trainees: Sander Korz, [email protected]
More information about this vacancy?
Anne-Maartje den Uijl-MeijmanFunctie:Recruiter