Multimedia and Video Technologies Research Scientist | The Hague
Want to make your mark on our time? Become an expert in multimedia and video technologies at TNO in The Hague!
What will be your role?
A large part of the activities of the Media Networking team is studying and improving the distribution chain (from recording to rendering) of video and other media modalities varying from traditional TV setups to AR/VR/XR devices. To handle the diversity of the content, distribution channels and devices new techniques have to be developed for processing of the data at every step of the chain. You work with a top team of people who are active internationally, sometimes on behalf of TNO, and sometimes on behalf of customers. Outside that team, you will also find top teams in many adjacent areas within TNO.
Typical activities that are part of this job include:
Conducting architectural analysis and design of video-centric media systems
Designing and prototyping new video encoding and processing algorithms
Compiling and defending contributions in international media standardization bodies (such as MPEG and 3GPP)
Coordinating, supervising and monitoring the work of research assistants and interns
You will also be responsible for:
Day-to-Day tasks of research projects;
Designing and prototyping innovative software solutions;
Authoring publications of different forms (papers, contributions, reviews …) at various fora (journal, conferences, consortia)
Assist in compiling project proposals and reports
What we expect from you
- Have a strong media and video technologies background: preferably you are holding a PhD in the field of multimedia technologies, signal processing, computer science or similar, and/or have a Master’s degree with at least 3 years of work experience;
- Have deep knowledge on video coding concepts, including current 2D video codecs (AV1, VVC, HEVC etc.) as well as state-of-the-art video technologies (PCC, AI, MPEG-MIV, Draco, Google Lightfields etc.) for XR applications.
- Are familiar with media system technologies; that include packaging formats (like ISOBMFF), streaming architectures (e.g. for OTT and/or IPTV) and their respective underlying technologies (e.g. DASH/HLS, CMAF, WebRTC …), immersive media user experience technologies (e.g. glTF, MPEG-SD), as well as the required networking concepts.
- Are willing to participate in international standardization bodies like MPEG/JVET.
- Have low-level programming experience (e.g. C/C++) for prototyping encoder, packagers and other multimedia tools.
- Are knowledgeable or willing to learn details on the graphics and rendering pipeline of video systems.
- Acquainted with existing multimedia tools (GStreamer, FFMpeg, GPAC) is an advantage.
- Are fascinated by cutting-edge media technologies and applications (like Holographic displays, AR Glasses)
- Are a good communicator and able to express your thoughts and findings in a clear concise manner, both orally and written.
- Are both a team player and autonomous on your work.
- Are fluent in scientific English.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.100,- and € 5.500,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel[OPTIONAL] or a leased car.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 8th of January, 2024. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
Annemieke KipsFunctie:Hiring manager
Posted by: #LI-YP1 Yvonne Pribnow
Email: [email protected]