Nanophysicist | Delft
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a Nanophysicist at TNO in Delft!
What will be your role?
The position entails research, development and experimentation on optomechanical instruments and equipment for nanoscale characterization. Examples include IR-AFM, quantum sensing and multimodal imaging.
Together with your colleagues you will achieve technical breakthroughs through technology push (based on fundamental physical insight) as well as customer pull (based on application oriented work).
Activities encompass on the one hand proposing solutions based on academic insights and then executing projects to show feasibility. On the other hand, projects may involve analyzing customer needs, translating these to key performance indicators and working with customers to show feasibility of the solutions. This will lead to system requirements, conceptual designs and experimental setups to demonstrate key aspects; both as TNO-owned technology demonstrators and as prototypes for high-profile international customers. Solutions may be based on a range of insights into a.o. basic physics, instrument design, control solutions, and analysis algorithms.
They may cover operation, calibration and data-analysis of advanced or custom implementations of IR-AFM, KPFM, SNVM and other AFM methodologies.
See more of the TNO Unit High Tech Industry and the Opto Mechatronics group.
What we expect from you
To be succesfull in this role you(r):
- Have a MSc. diploma with at least 4 years of additional working experience or (preferably) a PhD in (applied) physics, mechanical engineering, mechatronics or electrical engineering.
- Experience clearly shows insight into the combination of at least mechanics and physics; knowledge of micro- and nano-characterization through scanning probe methods including materials and material properties is crucial; knowledge of how to build a nanoinstrument such as SPM is advantageous as is knowledge about microfabrication technologies.
- Have a proven scientific track record through publications in relevant journals.
- In addition to your theoretical background, have experience in the design and realization of test setups, and in the design and execution of complex experiments.
- A pioneering mentality, and you are comfortable with the uncertainty that comes with scientific and engineering challenge.
- Your good communication skills, energy, creativity and a boundless curiosity, you can convince and inspire colleagues and customers alike.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary based on your knowledge and experience in relation to current employees, 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 3rd of December 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place in weeks 50 and 51. The second interview round has been scheduled for weeks 52 and 1 (2024). In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
More information about this vacancy?
“People who have technology in their DNA and like to see their concepts and designs realised in an instrument or application”. Paul Verschoor is a TNO recruiter for the Industry unit, recruiting a wide range of technologists – from physicists to instrument makers. He tries to fit them all into multidisciplinary teams working on exciting new applications, especially for industry.
Cassandra VrolijkFunctie:Hiring manager
Posted by: #LI-PV1 Paul Verschoor
Email: [email protected]