Senior Embedded-FPGA Engineer | The Hague
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a Senior Embedded-FPGA Engineer at TNO in The Hague!
What will be your role?
Radar systems are indispensable in the modern world. Whether for naval vessels, military drones or self-driving vehicles, radars provide a reliable picture of the environment, day and night and in all weather conditions. TNO possesses exceptional knowledge in the field of radar technology.
If you are up to being challenged in an environment that is among the top in the world and if you are excited at the prospect of working with experienced colleagues on the design of state-of-the-art radar systems: then this might be your chance! We offer a stimulating environment with world-renowned experts and career opportunities that match what you do best - today and in the future.
You could work at the Radar Technology department within the Defense, Safety and Security unit of TNO, for more information please click the following links: Radar technology | TNO or Working on a safe society | Get to Know TNO - YouTube.
What will be your role?
At our department, we passionately work on technological breakthroughs for state-of-the-art RF sensor systems. The Radar Technology team comprises skilled professionals from all the key areas needed to develop state-of-the-art radars. Within the department, we are divided in expertise groups that combine the knowledge from EM/antennas, RF modules, IC design and signal processing.
At TNO, we embrace a diverse and captivating range of projects, making your role as an embedded systems engineer both dynamic and highly sought after. As part of our team, you will find that your skills are in constant demand, and each day brings a fresh and exciting challenge.
Our projects span a wide spectrum of technologies and industries, promising that no two days are alike. Today, you might find yourself immersed in the intricacies of hardware debugging for an experimental compact radar system. Tomorrow, your expertise may be harnessed to develop software for an autonomous underwater vehicle, delving into the depths of oceanic exploration. And next week, you could be engrossed in the world of firmware development for a lightweight drone-mounted radar system with real-time processing capabilities.
As an embedded systems engineer at TNO, you'll thrive on the variety of experiences and technologies that come your way. Your adaptability and problem-solving skills will be put to the test daily, ensuring that you remain at the forefront of innovation and technology.
In addition to your role-specific tasks, you'll also engage in the documentation of these multifaceted projects, ensuring that our solutions are not only cutting-edge but also well-documented and organized.
Join us in shaping the future through your work as an embedded systems engineer at Radar Technology, where no challenge is too great, and no day is typical. Your talents will be pivotal in creating a brighter and more connected world.
What we expect from you
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- A genuine passion and interest in technology and software development with a thorough knowledge of best practices and new technologies, with a preference for ten to fifteen years of experience.
- Strong low-level programming experience (e.g. C, C++).
- Experience developing FPGA designs using a hardware description language, preferably VHDL.
- Familiarity with or exposure to digital logic, μCs, FPGAs, SOCs, SOMs.
- Strong digital circuit design background that includes microprocessors, FPGA, analog circuitry for theoretical analysis, simulations, circuit analysis, board level simulation.
- Experience with interfacing of hardware peripherals like sensors, motors, motor drivers, touch displays, etc.
- Works minimally 3 days in the office (The Hague) for interaction with the design team and Radar Technology colleagues.
- Exposure to Xilinx and Altera toolkits.
- Exposure to HDL simulation tools (Modelsim, Questasim, etc.)
- Experience with Embedded Linux (Yocto, Petalinux, etc).
- Experience with Linux device drivers.
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems.
- Experience with PCBA boards bring up and troubleshooting.
- Experience with project management tools (e.g. Git, Jira).
- Exposure to CI/CD pipeline tools e.g. GitHub Runners, Jenkins, Azure DevOps.
- Exposure to SW testing (e.g. cmocka, ceedlings).
- Exposure to FW testing (e.g. cocotb).
- Expose to documentation toolings (e.g. Sphinx, Doxygen).
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g. Python, bash).
- Knowledge of Radar/RF systems.
- Knowledge of digital signal processing (DSP) and algorithm development experience. (Digital PLLs, Digital Filters, Array Processing, Beamforming etc).
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.156,- and € 6.888,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Posted by: #LI-SM1 Serge Moesman
Email: [email protected]