Senior Reservoir Geologist | Utrecht
Want to make your mark on our time? Become a Senior Reservoir Geologist in Utrecht!
About this position
The Geoscience and Technology Group hosts about 70 professionals, mostly earth scientists and subsurface engineers. Our project portfolio covers the entire energy transition chain from resource exploration (hydrocarbon) to carbon/hydrogen storage to geothermal energy. The projects are diverse in scope and size: we manage large national research programs, participate in EU funded research consortia, provide consultancy services for the private sector and lead large joint industry projects. We offer our partners and clients a creative vision on the energy transition. We aim at transforming this vision into practical solutions, based on world-class geoscientific expertise and leading-edge technological capabilities. You will be one of the lead scientists in the Reservoir Geology Team of the Geoscience and Technology Group.
What will be your role?
You will develop new project ideas and contribute to the successful execution of projects focusing on geological concepts relevant for the energy transition, from hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide subsurface storage, and hydrogen subsurface storage to geothermal applications. In these domains, you will develop state-of-the-art methods for reservoir geology and production/storage-related challenges. You will have the opportunity to actively collaborate with partners and clients on developing innovative solutions for complex problems faced by the energy transition for both private and governmental organizations (domestic and international). These projects offer you the opportunity to be exposed to various types of multi-disciplinary and integrated geological studies utilizing innovative technologies and workflows. Your work will include applied research activities, ranging from project proposal development to conducting technical tasks as well as providing mentorship to junior employees, PhD’s and interns. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team, and collaborate with other geologists, geophysicists, geochemists, geomechanics and reservoir production engineers.
What we expect from you
You have a strong background in reservoir geology with focus on petrophysics, reservoir characterization and reservoir geological modelling. Besides hydrocarbons, you have a proven track record in applications within the energy transition: carbon dioxide/hydrogen storage or geothermal heat production. Having experience in managing projects is an advantage, as is geological knowledge of (some of) the main reservoir intervals in the Southern North Sea Area. You have a strong affinity to contribute scientifically to the development of new methods and concepts for reservoir geology and production. You are a goal-oriented, self-driven professional with a strong will to deliver quality results. You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team of research fellows, industrial and academic partners, and other stakeholders.
We expect the following qualifications:
- A PhD or MSc degree in Earth Sciences, with a strong focus on petrophysics, reservoir & production geology and geological reservoir modelling of both clastic and carbonate reservoirs.
- 10+ years’ work experience in the industry and/or academia with the respective network.
- An affinity to develop reservoir geology techniques and workflows for sustainable geo-energy solutions (gas, geothermal, hydrogen or carbon storage).
- Having advanced knowledge of reservoir characterization, petrophysics, geological well correlation, well log interpretation, reservoir seismic mapping and core data analyses.
- Able to build 3D static geological models through the integration of geological, petrophysical, geophysical and production data.
- Able to perform industry standard best practices in research projects related to petrophysical characterization, reservoir modelling, stratigraphic & structural modelling, seismic interpretation and petroleum system analysis.
- Able to understand and work with geomechanical models and discrete fracture networks.
- A scientific mindset to lead the development of new concepts and project ideas and the dissemination thereof.
- Experience in leading projects from a scientific point of view.
- An understanding of the standard programs (e.g. IP, Petrel, Eclipse) and techniques used in reservoir geology, geological modelling, and petrophysical analyses.
- Excellent English communication and writing skills.
- Overall, you are an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an international setting and is looking for a challenge-based environment to grow.
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 5.365,- and € 8.216,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- We offer a comprehensive and flexible mobility plan that also includes full compensation for public transportation for commuting and business travel.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours, the possibility to work parttime (32 of 36 hours) and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 11th of December, 2023. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 14th of December, 2023. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 20th of December, 2023. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
A certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is required before starting a new job at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Posted by: #LI-AB1 Anouk Bos
Email: [email protected]