TNO is an expert in the field of atmospheric plasma. We develop plasma electrodes and have knowledge of various applications of plasma. Plasma can be used for repellent fabric or skin disinfection. It's also possible to treat difficult bonding materials to improve adhesion. It is even possible to reduce odors with plasma. In short, a technology with many possibilities!
Plasma is an ionized gas and also known as the fourth condition of a material, next to solid, liquid and gaseous. There are four types of plasma. We work with a plasma at room temperature under atmospheric pressure. This makes it ideal to apply in circumstances where you do not want vacuum and high temperatures. Plasma temporarily creates a chemically active surface without chemicals. This gives you plenty of options with different materials and gases. And the great thing is that the properties such as strength, permeability and feeling are unaffected. We work with SDBD plasma (Surface Dielectric Barrier Discharge) with the following characteristics:
- Atmospheric pressure
- At room temperature
- Accurate control of process parameters
- Dry process
- Relatively low use of power
- Homogenous treatment of larger surfaces
- Treatment of 3D surfaces
- Virtually any material
TNO SDBD plasma technology has advantages in various applications. Here are some examples of possibilities:
- Plastics: plastics, such as ETFE, PVC, PMMA, adhere better with plasma pretreatment. Influence surface energy to improve flow of coatings and prevent the forming of droplets.
- Textiles: use plasma for textile to make it water-repellent, absorbing, oil-repellent or oil absorbing. Improve adhesion for applying paint or protective coatings.
- Gas cleaning: blow air with an odor through the plasma electrodes and break the molecules that cause the odor. Result, significant stench reduction.
- Disinfection: Disinfect surfaces with plasma without damaging surfaces. We are working on a hand-disinfection device for surgeons but also disinfection of conveyor belts in the food industry is a possibility.
What can we do for you
- We offer knowledge and expertise in the field of cold atmospheric plasma and different applications of this plasma. Our team consists of experts in the field of plasma, chemistry and gas flow dynamics. We work together with TNO experts in specific fields such as food, medical, materials and coatings, so that we can offer the best solution for your application.
- We have patented electrode concepts, suitable for implementation in production lines or other operating environments.
- With your knowledge of the application and our research we can see what plasma could mean for your application, and how much you gain in quality or quantity.
- Together with you and, if necessary a third party, we develop a plasma device, specifically for your requirements.