Streetwise: database of real-world driving situations
TNO is introducing Streetwise, a method that determines whether the technology of automated driving meets the specifications and is suitable for its intended use. The basis for this is a database of scenarios of real-world driving situations on public roads. The focus is on the interaction between road users (vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists), road elements (tunnels, bridges, road signs, trees) and the environment (such as weather and light conditions).
How does Streetwise work?
The technically advanced Streetwise offers a fully data-driven approach. Cars with radar and/or camera act as sensors for real-world scenarios. The driving data are classified into the elementary events of one car (such as lane departure) and then combined into scenarios (such as overtaking on a motorway). The observed variation in recorded scenarios can be statistically characterised. In this way, the full variety of on-road driving can be made available, for example for generating relevant test cases.
In addition, with Streetwise TNO offers access to a database of scenarios that reflects real traffic situations. It provides scenario detection and automatic event categorisation, assessing Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and automated driving applications. TNO designs and develops test procedures, and uses them to perform test procedures for industry and government. In addition, TNO offers advice on the development of new test protocols.
What can TNO do for you?
TNO supports vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers in proving the safe behaviour of their vehicles. We do this by offering knowledge and expertise in the field of testing and validation activities. And we lead prominent multi-partner industry consortiums to develop pre-competitive technology and methods.
Who benefits from proving vehicle safety?
- vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers
- consumer groups
- insurance companies
We also advise and support other stakeholders such as road authorities and representatives of end users by providing insight into the behaviour of automated driving via real-world demonstrations, simulation studies, technology assessment and pilot studies.
Specifically TNO offers:
- Cost-effective proof of safe automated vehicles.
- Cost-effective testing, assessment and validation.
- The Streetwise scenario database knows when your tests are complete.
- Limited number of test kilometres during development.
- Hardware-in-the-Loop facilities
- Methods of new vehicle features to properly handle what is really happening on the street. Cost-effective development of vehicle automation functions adapted to practical scenarios.
- ‘APK’ assessment and measurement methodology for AD and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS).
- Virtual homologation.
- Monitoring of traffic scenarios for regions.
Want to know more?
Would you like more information about what TNO can do for you to apply automated and cooperative driving on public roads? Then please contact us.