TNO’s independent experts, with state-of-the-art knowledge, methods and applied technology, are committed to clean vehicles, whether for the urban transport of people or goods, or for regional or international freight transport.
TNO offers validated models and optimisation algorithms that predict behaviour at different system levels (operational and vehicle level). This results in tools that can be used in the design of transport systems, the development of products for use in these systems and the further optimisation of the system during the operation.
TNO is aiming for a potential energy saving of 20-40% by optimising the operation of the vehicle for its specific task. In the vision of self-learning (situation-adaptive) energy management within a model-based approach, the value of combining factual, determinative and plausible or predictive information is central if its application is to be optimised.
Using common tools and methods within the transport sector, TNO aims to achieve new levels of cost reduction and to implement innovations in modular battery packs, fuel cells, simplified powertrain transmission systems such as hybrid configurations, electric axles, adaptive energy optimisation and the circular economy of batteries between reuse, re-conditioning and recycling.
More specifically, TNO offers
TNO offers knowledge in various areas of expertise about the design and behaviour of transport (public transport, distribution of goods, mobility services and autonomous solutions), its interaction and integration in the urban environment. TNO brings this knowledge together and develops its application for the optimisation of transport networks. TNO can describe the behaviour and performance of these systems at different levels of models, design new concepts and improvements, and thus predict their performance.
What do you need? TNO offers:
- Technical solutions for the deployment of clean vehicles: an evidence-based analysis and associated consultancy;
- Focus on state-of-the-art and future batteries in validated models that enable the use of the battery in a sustainable and efficient way;
- A holistic system approach (component, vehicle, fleet, charging infrastructure) that provides insight into TCO-relevant criteria such as factors influencing CAPEX (necessary new investment) and OPEX (operating costs);
- A collection of validated models to predict energy management and consumption in actual operation when using 100% battery vehicles or battery hybrid vehicles including the fuel cell as a range extender;
- An independent role for Manufacturers, Suppliers, Engineering Partners and local authorities.
Our goal is to demonstrate in 2021 that we can operate a fleet of Zero Emission Buses or logistics vehicles with an optimised design of vehicle configuration, charging infrastructure, routing and energy consumption in a pre-determined optimum (given certain agreed KPIs for the customer). For this purpose, adaptive and/or self-learning energy optimisation methods are used.
Want to know more?
Would you like more information about what TNO can do for you in the field of technology development of clean vehicles? Then please contact us.
TNO supports start-up XYZ Dynamics with the realization of emission-free city logistics