Do you have a product or installation that fails during use? Do materials degrade faster than they should? Are there substances in your product that shouldn't be there? TNO helps producers and users to rapidly get to grips with this type of problem. We provide support in the form of damage assessment and materials research into the failure mechanism, with the aim of preventing similar problems in the future.
At TNO we work in close coordination and cooperation with our customers.
We can carry out a range of studies for you, inlcuding:
- Identification of failure mechanisms and the underlying causes of damage.
- Determining the mechanism and underlying cause of material degradation processes such as fracturing, crack formation, damage or wear.
- Identifying production and/or usage defects caused by solids. This relates to all manner of production faults, such as: impurities in PET bottles, crystal formation in concrete, glass particles in products, deposits in pipes, corroded metals.
- Advice on product repair, process optimisation and selecting materials, with a view to preventing damage in the future
- Materials analyses as part of product-control procedures and condition monitoring
- Providing second opinions and consultancy services relating to materials.
Microscopy and Materials
The experts of the Applied Environmental Chemistry (AEC) team specialise in studying unknown substances and small particles in difficult matrices and low product concentrations. Our Microscopy and Materials specialists have extensive knowledge of a range of materials:
- traditional materials (metals, plastics, ceramics, glass)
- natural materials (wood, paper, plant materials)
- emerging new materials (nanomaterials, hybrid materials).
AEC has extensive knowledge of materials processes and risk asessment relating to harmful emissions into the environment. TNO has state-of-the-art equipment which, combined with the right experts to operate it and interpret the results, enables us to work on complex issues. Where appropriate we work with experts in other specialist areas at TNO.
With the knowledge and techniques it has at its disposal, TNO can also perform other relevant studies, such as:
- Materials characterisation: investigating whether the composition of a product or material is what it should be, chemically as well as microscopically.
- Particle analysis: analysing the composition of a product or material, with emphasis on microscopy and electron microscopy. We can see small particles in solids or liquids, and distinguish and isolate them, enabling us to determine which substances a product contains
- Fibre analysis: TNO is a national and international expert in the field of asbestos and mineral fibres.
- Microscopy for biological applications: analysis of biological samples using electron microscopy and energy-dispersive X-ray microanalysis (EDX) combined with microscopy (inlcuding fluorescence microscopy).